Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2015 18:00

Unclassified Devices

I just setup a new install of OpenManage 2.1.  During the first “Discover and Inventory” of one of my subnets, I’m getting several “Unclassified Devices”.  These appear to be switches and out of band servers, however, I only want to discover and display “Servers with OMSA”, “ESXi Hosts” and “PowerVault MD Arrays” devices.

I can’t seem to find a setting for eliminating the Unclassified Devices.

Thank you.

1K Posts

September 28th, 2015 09:00

It would be a good idea to open a support ticket. I am running out of suggestions on this one.

1K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 23:00

Hi Craig, There is an option under Discovery settings to discover only instrumented devices. If you choose that option and perform a fresh discovery and inventory then you will get only Dell devices discovered. Hope that helps you. Let us know if you need more details.

28 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 03:00

Hi

The above answer is valid for Pre-2.1 versions of OME.

There is no option to only discover instrumented devices in OME 2.1.

Here's what I found out how to eliminate "Unknown" devices:

After the discovery task has run, you end up with a lot of unclassified devices. (Printers, routers, virtual servers and so on).

Right click on such a device (or select many at the same time) and select "Exclude".

"This action will delete the selected device(s) and create an exclude range for the device(s) so they are not rediscovered on future discovery cycles".

You then find the created exclude ranges on the Discovery and Inventory tab.

Hope this helps.

8 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 09:00

I do have the option "Discover:  Instrumented Devices" selected.  I just deselecting and then re-selecting just to make sure it took.  I have restarted the services and server.

8 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 13:00

In response to Larnil's post:

There is actually a "Instrumented Device" setting in OME 2.1.  It is under the "Device Schedule".

To exclude IP's and device names of every Unclassified Devices is something I would rather not do.  It sets me up future failure as IP devices change and servers are rebuilt.

1K Posts

September 23rd, 2015 23:00

Thanks Craig for confirming. OME 2.1 very well does have the option of instrumented device discovery and it is same as the previous versions.

28 Posts

September 24th, 2015 00:00

OK - my mistake, sorry.

I was quite sure this option used to be under "Discovery Settings".

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

8 Posts

September 24th, 2015 06:00

I still have my original problem in that I do have the option "Discover:  Instrumented Devices" selected, but I'm still discovering All Devices.  I have deselecting and then re-selecting the option just to make sure it took.  I have restarted the services and server.

1K Posts

September 24th, 2015 07:00

Hi Craig,

Just to be sure, did you delete and rediscover the devices after changing the discovery settings to Instrumented devices. If not, you may want to try that.

Point to Note is changing to Instrumented devices will still connect and classify the DELL devices as unknown. Only if there is a non Dell instrumentation, then they will not be shown in device tree. All Dell instrumentation devices will still be shown. Hope this makes is clearer.

8 Posts

September 24th, 2015 07:00

Yes.  Every time I performed a Discover the Instrumented Devices has been selected.

I also understand that concept of the Unknown Dell devices.

Do you have any other guidance. Since this is a test environment, I could try to re-install of OME.  Or should I open a case Dell support.?

No Events found!