Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2012 14:00

Updating OMSA through OpenManage Essentials

Hello,

in my server i have omsa version 6.3.0 and i want to update it to 7.0, i just send the package to the server or i have other way to do that??

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Of course if you are just talking about one server, you may just manually update OMSA on that v6.3 box :)

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Hi there muzack,

There is a whitepaper on www.delltechcenter.com/ome called "Deploying Server Administrator Using OpenManage Essentials".  

Also, there is a sample task under: Manage | Remote Tasks.

Have a look and see if that provides some good info.

thx much,

Rob

34 Posts

June 28th, 2012 15:00

i tried to deply the omsa through ome to my Dell 1900 with ESX 4.1 installed and i get this message of error,

File deploy command failed to execute with error message: Unable to find file or create directory for Server Administrator CLI deply command.

I create the task schedule to run now and it no runs, i have to right click the task and select run, and the i get the message above

and i didnt understand the answer Rob C

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

June 28th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Rob was trying to say if you are upgrading OMSA on just one server, you also have the option of running the 7.0 OMSA install file on the target server directly and it will upgrade OMSA from 6.3 to 7.0.

Regarding your issue, not sure about the steps you have taken. As mentioned in the white paper, you can right click on "Deploy Server Administrator" task and choose "create new task". In the popup wizard, choose the Linux option and upload the OMSA install file ending with tar.gz. On the next pages, choose your target server and specify the root credentials for the target server.

Regards

Abhijit

34 Posts

June 29th, 2012 05:00

i followed all this steps, -w -d in the arguments of insallation, i t seems that he creates the task first and the i have to run it

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

June 29th, 2012 09:00

Yes.

So you can either install the OMSA upgrade directly on the target machine.  This is easy if you have just one server.

If you have more than one server you can use OME to upgrade OMSA.  The task you create can be set to "run now" or run at some time in the future that you choose.

Thanks,

Rob

34 Posts

June 29th, 2012 10:00

Ok, I am trying to deploy through OME but i keep recieving the error:

File deploy command failed to execute with error message: Unable to find file or create directory for Server Administrator CLI deply command.

I create the task schedule to run now and it no runs, i have to right click the task and select run, and the i get the message above

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

June 29th, 2012 10:00

It looks like the credentials you specified while creating the task do not have permissions to do this operation on the target server. Can you confirm if you have specified root credentials for the ESX server?

34 Posts

June 29th, 2012 11:00

i tried to run logged as administrator of the OME server, and the task apparently is working

34 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 10:00

The SNMP is ok i try the refresh inventory and nothing.

have any more ideas?

34 Posts

ok

the task ran and it installed the OMSA on the server but it doesnt appear like a server, shows like unknow, some one could help me?

You can right click on the device and "preform Inventory" or if it continues to not work properly after that use the Troubleshooting tool to see if SNMP shows you the version of open manage installed on the target

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Hi,

Ok, you have OMSA on the box.  Let's do a quick check with the OME troubleshooting tool.  It is installed on the desktop.

Do an SNMP test against that box.  The results should include the OMSA version.  What version is it reporting?

Thanks!

Rob

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 2nd, 2012 11:00

Is this a Linux box you are trying to inventory?

If so, review the Linux/OMSA video here:

en.community.dell.com/.../3263.openmanage-essentials-video-demonstrations.aspx

Otherwise, here are common areas that you need to review when trying to get a server properly classified.

Thanks,

Rob

----

OME Discovery

Here are the important items to check when you are chasing down OME Discovery and Inventory issues.

1. Check FAQ 3.6 if inventory is not showing up.
  2. Be sure OMSA is on the managed node (target)  if you are using SNMP/WMI (#3.3)
  3. Be sure you have “accept packets” checked on your managed node (#3.4)
  4. If discovering a 2008 server, see item #3.5
  5. Be sure you check the community string, remember they are *case sensitive* (#3.4).  Did you type it in correctly in the discovery wizard?  Did you type it in correctly in the managed node SNMP properties?  Did you type it in correctly in the TS test screen?
  6. Run the SNMP troubleshooting test for SNMP or WMI.  For SNMP the results *must* include the version of OMSA in the table.  For WMI the results *must* contain the words “Dell Server Agent” for the namespace returned.

34 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 11:00

it does not show any

No Events found!