Bob S17
6 Indium

RE: 2.5" drive bracket Dell 3650 (or 3655) Desktop

Jump to solution

Thanks Speedstep

Unfortunately Dell sales (UK)  cannot sell me these as the part number X9VF3, nor those for the cables, do not correlate with a "SKU number"....mad I know!

8 days and counting to sort out!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Do you have at least one caddy in your unit?

If you do take it out and look for the part number there.

Also the original configuration from the Service tag Support site might list part numbers.

The cables would have a white tag on them with the part number.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Bob S17
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hi Speedstep

The issue is not the numbers, its within Dell. Part numbers used by tech support are not recognised by the sales teams. It should not be for customers like me to try and find numbers or sort it.

There are lost of complaints on line where Dell do not make any attemot to solve the issue despite the fact a range of desktops have the capacity to have 2 nos 2.5" drivesin this way. That they cannot /do not provide after sales service to support this simple modification says a lot.

0 Kudos
gbrchill
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I went round the houses on this too. Eventually being passed off to Dell's 3rd party parts partner in the UK. So far no one has been able to sell me the brackets or cables.

So, I have resorted to a 4 way SATA power extender/splitter, a SATA cable I had kicking around and some string, which I was going to replace with self adhesive heavy duty hook and loop fastener strip. I then came across this item on ebay (search for "Oem For Optiplex Dell 3040 5040 7040 MT 3650 HDD 2.5 SSD Bay Caddy Bracket"). The item arrived from China quickly and appears to fit fine. Just putting this information here for others to find as I have been unable to source the part through Dell official channels in the UK.

Highlighted
Bob S17
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Thanks BGRRCHILL

Interesting to get an indication what cable I should use. Where does the one you suggest plug in? Does it piggy back off the cable to  existing hard drive? 

0 Kudos
gbrchill
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I used StarTech 4x SATA Power Splitter Adapter Cable  from Amazon. It is an extension cable so I unplugged the existing SATA power cable from the 3.5 inch drive and plugged it into the end of this extension cable. The first power connector I plugged back into the 3.5 inch drive and then the cable is long enough to reach down to the 2.5 inch cage and provide power down there with the 3rd and 4th connection.It is a bit ugly but it works.

The SATA data cable was just one I had handy - it plugs into the socket on the motherboard and routes up to the drive, the cable path is pretty obvious with the cable tidy clip.

gbrchill
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have just seen another listing on ebay for the caddy, from Latvia. With the postage included it is way cheaper than the one I ended up buying from China. It also looks like a real part, rather than a copy. Search for the part number.

0 Kudos
chuck r.
6 Indium

Jump to solution

This is late (June), but I just now bought my 3650.  I did not KNOW my 3.5 HDDs wouldn't work.

The bracket is available on eBay.  Go to the computer parts category and put in X9FV3

Be careful, though.  There is only one US vendor and the others will come from China, which will delay the ship date.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
notachance
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey gbrchill, I've got a question about the power cable and SATA data cable. I've seen conflicting information about the 3650 using some proprietary connections for the cables. You just used regular cables correct?

0 Kudos
gbrchill
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The SATA data cable is an ordinary one - it plugs into an ordinary SATA socket on the mother board. It is the power cable that is special. Dell pass the power for the drives through their motherboard to a custom power socket. There is a dell part number for the cable, as there is for the drive caddy. I couldn't find anyone in the UK to supply the parts. So, once I had tracked down a caddy on ebay I bought a standard SATA power splitter and plugged one end into the single power lead from the mother board, the one the machine shipped with, and the other connections on the splitter into the existing drive and the new 2.5" SSD.