Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2013 12:00

2710 - Line In Audio Port????

I have a Dell XPS 2710 All in One.  I am planning on converting a large number of vinyl lps to cds/mp3s.  Supposedly to get the sound into the computer, I need to connect to the LINE IN audio port on the computer. However, I can not seem to find one. The only audio ports I see are the speaker output port and the microphone input port. And the instructions on the equipment I am using specifically state not to use the microphone port because it is a mono port, has the wrong impedance and thus will produce lousy sound.

So am I missing something here or is the microphone port on this computer designed in such a way that it will work properly for my needs?

Thanks for your help, Ken

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 5th, 2013 16:00

Hi Ken,

Not sure what turntable you have but most of them have a stereo output known as phone level, not the higher signal line level needed for direct input into a PC. The way to accomplish the audio connection to the PC is with a small pre-amp, many of which now feature a USB port for connection to PCs. This article has some information on the options available.

32 Posts

December 6th, 2013 10:00

Thanks and yes I will be using a USB input....I was quite surprised to find that the XPS 2710 did not have a LINE IN port.  Any idea why not?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 6th, 2013 13:00

No idea. Seems sort of strange not to have any audio input.

No Events found!