Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2010 11:00

2GB of Ram in a dell 2350?

I have what i thought was the maximum of 1GB in my computer but now ive heard rumors that I can put 2Gb in this computer. Is that true? If so which ones would I buy?

6.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 11:00

I don't know of anyone who has tried this; perhaps someone will jump in later.  What I do know is that the Dell service manual for this model says 1 GB max, and the Crucial webpage agrees with that.  The Intel page for the 845GL, which is the chip set used by this model, states that 2 GB is maximum, but you can't assume that the computer will handle amount simply because the chip set is capable.  Max memory is also dependent on the design of the main board and the BIOS.

So; unless someone who has tried and succeeded lets us know about it, I would say that trying to put 2 GB into a Dimension 2350 is an experiment.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 13:00

I have what i thought was the maximum of 1GB in my computer but now ive heard rumors that I can put 2Gb in this computer. Is that true? If so which ones would I buy?

The rumors are true -- the 2350 will use 2gb of RAM. And it is compatible with Windows 7.  I know, because I did both of these with my 2350.

As for the memory I used, it was a matched pair of GSKILL PC3200.

If you want to upgrade to Windows 7, you'll likely need a discrete video card. I used a Sparkle 8400GS PCI with 512mb memory.

22 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 14:00

Wow thats awesome news. Im pretty happy with XP but maybe in the future I will think about Windows 7. I just installed the new Evga 9400GT PCI 1Gb card and it works like a dream. I cant believe this old dell just keeps getting better, Ive had this computer for nearly 8 years now.

Thanks for the info.

6.4K Posts

June 9th, 2010 15:00

Did you try both of the G-Skill sticks to make sure that both are good?  If not you should try that first.

If both sticks are good, try swapping them around in the memory connectors.  The memory controller is single channel but it uses the first slot to decide on the timing to be used.  If one memory stick is a bit off from the other switching the sticks into different slots will sometimes fix the problem.  The other thing you can try is to reset the NVRAM so that the computer will re-detect its devices.  I believe there is a sticky on the first page of this board that tells you how to do that, but if you can't find that you can always use the old trick of removing the lithium back-up cell for a few minutes.  Once you reset the NVRAM you will need to use F2 at start-up to go to system setup and turn off the diskette drive - unless you actually have one, of course.

22 Posts

June 9th, 2010 15:00

Well I bought the G-skill 2gb sticks you recommended but they do not work. At the startup screen it says memory has changed to 2G. Okay I press F1 to continue and the screen remains black. What does work is a combo of one G-skill stick and my old 512mb stick. At the startup is shows the change and boots up normally. So am I doing something wrong here? because I just spent 90 bucks on these memory stick and cant use them.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 9th, 2010 18:00

I forgot to mention that I had to reset the NVRAM for the memory to be recognized at POST time.

22 Posts

June 10th, 2010 07:00

The sticks are both working. The only thing I havent tried now is resetting the NVRAM. I

22 Posts

June 10th, 2010 08:00

Could someone briefly explain how I reset the NVRAM

Thank you.

22 Posts

June 10th, 2010 10:00

Alright. Thanks everybody for  the help. I will try this when I get home and update the status.

22 Posts

Alright. Thanks everybody for  the help. I will try this when I get home and update the status.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

* Disconnect the computer power cable from the electrical outlet, and then press the power button to ground the system board
* Remove the computer cover
* Move the CMOS jumper 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

from pins 1/2 and place it on pins 2/3
* Press the PC power button
* Move the jumper back to pins 1/2
* Replace the cover and power the PC on

6.4K Posts

June 10th, 2010 14:00

Can you get to system setup with both G-Skill sticks installed?  This is F2 at the self test screen after you start the computer.  If so, what does it say about the installed memory?

22 Posts

June 10th, 2010 14:00

No luck! I did everything the way it was explained. The computer is booting up properly because I can hear it logging in to my user account when I click the mouse but the screen is black. When I remove one G-skill stick and replace it with a 512 It boots up normally and the screen is fine again. I dont know whats going on here.

22 Posts

June 10th, 2010 15:00

Yeah it shows the new memory size 2048 in the setup. when I go out of It shows the windows XP loading screen, everything seems fine, then just remains black but is loading. Kind of like if you were to disable your video adapter, the computer would boot normally but there would be no screen. As I say when i put the combo in it works just fine, So Iam running 1.5 G Ram fine and it does make a difference but what am I supposed to do with the other 1G not in use?

6.4K Posts

June 10th, 2010 15:00

I suspect that the memory of your new video card has something to do with this.  Even though the computer doesn't usually access the video memory directly, the video memory must still be mapped into the processor's address space.  Uninstalling and then reinstalling the card might correct the problem.

What happens if you boot into Windows Safe Mode?  If you can get there you can try uninstalling the drivers for the card by removing its listing in Device Manager.  When you restart the computer Windows should try to reinstall the card automatically.  If it is a memory mapping problem this should resolve it.

On the other hand, if you have it working with 1.5 GB, and don't care to risk additional problems, you could always return the second 1 GB stick (assuming the company will accept the return), sell it, or keep it as a spare.

No Events found!