Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2016 20:00

3847 won't exit sleep mode

My Dell Inspiron 3847 i5 won't come out of sleep mode several times a month.  Both the keyboard and mouse(USB) are dead.  So I have to power down to recover, and Windows 10 doesn't like that.  Most of the time hitting a key or clicking the mouse will bring the computer out of sleep just fine.  I would guess there are more failures when I let it go into sleep mode overnight than during the day.  Both the screen and PC sleep are set at 45 min.  The monitor is an Acer H236HL connected by HDMI and a WD My Passport Ultra is connected by USB3 if those make any difference.  Any suggestions to fix this?  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2016 11:00

You can try this:

1. Open Device Manager and expand list under USB
  2. Double-click a USB root hub and click it's Power Management tab
  3. UNcheck the box "Allow PC to turn off..." and click OK
  4. Repeat for all root hubs
  5. Expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and uncheck same box for all HID listings with a Power Management tab
  6. Exit Device Manager and open the Windows Power options screen
  7. Select the active power plan and click the link to change settings
  8. On next screen, click the link for Advanced Options
  9. Look on list at left for USB Selective Suspend and DISable it. Be sure to save the change to your power plan before leaving that screen.
  10. Reboot

See if that helps...

14 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 17:00

Ron, Only the USB3 root hub(of 3) had the box checked for "Allow PC to turn off".  I unchecked it.  The Intellimouse and an USB device under HID both had the box checked so I unchecked them.  The USB Selective Suspend under Power Options-Advanced Options was already disabled.

I also ran Dell System Detect and updated my BIOS from 5 to 8.  It also updated several Intel Chipset drivers.  I thought Dell Update had been taking care of updates for me but obviously it had not.

It may be two weeks before I will know if one of these changes has helped since the problem is so infrequent.  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 4th, 2016 11:00

Post back after testing for a while and let us know if the problem is resolved.  That will help others in the same situation...

14 Posts

March 20th, 2016 17:00

The problem appears to be resolved.  I would guess it was related to the WD My Passport USB drive.   Thanks Ron!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 21st, 2016 11:00

No Events found!