Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 3rd, 2009 21:00

435T VMware Workstation and Server bluescreen/bugcheck 0x00000050

Is anyone able to run VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 (added support for I7) or Server 2.01 on their 435T?

Both install fine.

• Workstation BSOD's when I try to open the GUI window...I can't even try to run a machine.
  • Server BSOD's when the service starts up, on reboot the service won't start due to corrupt XML (which if you fix and start the service, it BSOD's)

Tried installing Windows 2008 x64...only installed Network and Chipset drivers...VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 BSOD's

Windows Memory checker finds no issues.

machine stats:

Dell Studio XPS 435T 

Intel I7 940

12GB ram

Vista x64 SP1 Home Premium

ATI  4870

14 Posts

April 13th, 2009 06:00

Hi did you ever get this to work? l noticed you posted this on the vmware forums to.

I got a new 435t on Friday - same spec as yours apart from the memory.

I'm getting exactly the same issue, as soon as l try to run the vmware workstation app - it bsod and l get the same error.

I've read a few reports about the AV software interferring - so l've tried it with no AV installed - and even the latest vmware workstation build from the vmware website.

What bios version are you running?

I purchased this new Dell purely for vmware testing at home, if l can't get it to run l'm going to return the machine.

Thanks

14 Posts

April 14th, 2009 05:00

You may want to try stress test on it if you haven't already, l know vmware can be very picky if there are any memory errors.

Otherwise may be worth reformatting it, if you haven't already - just don't use any of the drivers supplied with dell.

After each time l installed anything l rebooted and checked vmware would still run - it was a pain, but l wanted to see what broke it.

Seems fine now though and quick.

8 Posts

What bios version are you running?

I purchased this new Dell purely for vmware testing at home, if l can't get it to run l'm going to return the machine.

No, I never got it to work...

Running the newest A07 bios. 

I also purchased this mainly for use with VMWare...very disappointed. 

14 Posts

Looks like l've rectified the problems l was having with the slowness and slow nic issues.

I ran a memtestx86 on it last night and it all passed, so l ended up reformatting it, and using the drivers direct from the individual manufacturers website for the Intel Chipset, NIC and the ATI Radeon.

Since l've done that it all seems a lot faster and no bsod. VMware runs fine now to

2 Posts

April 15th, 2009 10:00

I picked up a 435T recently myself. I was curious about the VMware support.  I installed 6.5.2 workstation on the default dell vista 64 bit installation.  It crashed, BSOD, and rebooted on first execution.  After the reboot I right clicked and chose "Run as Administrator" and it loaded fine without errors and was able to create a Windows XP VM. Haven't seen a BSOD since.  Am running on the dell drivers that came with the factory install.  Will do more testing with updated drivers and see what happens.  I did not see any VT support settings in the BIOS options with A05 firmware.  I don't know how to test if VT is enabled or working on a Dell XPS 435T.

14 Posts

April 15th, 2009 10:00

Must be a driver issue and that is what fixed my issues and now it's running perfectly and a lot faster since l've reformatted.

There is no VT Support settings in the bios options screen in A07 either.

8 Posts

April 16th, 2009 05:00

I already have UAC turned off...I tried "Run as Administrator" and it still crashes. I installed 2008 in a different partition, and only installed the chipset and video drivers and it still BSODs.

I'll have to try a clean vista install...

14 Posts

April 16th, 2009 06:00

Where did you get the drivers from for the chipset and vid and nic?

8 Posts

April 21st, 2009 21:00

did you install the drivers for the card reader? R206717?

I did a fresh install of 2008 standard x64. Installed the intel chipset and network card drivers. VMWare installed and started fine. I figured that narrowed down the problem to sound or video. I only had two items without drivers...video and card reader. I thought the card reader was the safest...installed that first. Started vmware...BSOD.

Now to figure out how to clean the drivers out of my vista install.

8 Posts

April 21st, 2009 21:00

now that I know what to look for, I found newer card reader drivers on the realtek website. NO MORE BSOD!!! 

Realtek_VistaWin7_M_WHQL_6.0.6000.20132.rar were the ones I installed.

14 Posts

April 22nd, 2009 05:00

I didn't install any drivers for the media slots - l just let windows detect them.

Glad it's working for you, mine's been fine now since l reinstalled it - just got my new memory in there to so now running 9GB.

Got ESX installed last night on a couple of virtual servers, running great.

Just need to get the Virtual Cent running correctly now.

3 Posts

September 30th, 2009 09:00

I was very fortunate to have found this thread so thank you to those who posted.

I want to add that I also had the BSOD problem with VMWare 6.5.3.  A separate fresh install worked until I made some changes to bring it closer to my original setup.  Ironically, turning UAC off was the last change I made that triggered the issue, so the problem may be with the driver but only under certain conditions.  The solution of updating the Realtek USB Card Reader drivers did work for me.  I used the latest 6.1.7600.30105 version from the Realtek website.

No Events found!