Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2011 05:00

4700 corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Hello,

I've come across this problem with my 4700:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I've tried everything I've found recommended, but I can't seem to get it to work. The only steps that seems to work for me were from this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B307545

Under "Step 1", part 5 it directs me to copy and delete a list of files. I've completed as far as deleting all the files. When I get to the task of copying the "repair" files, I get the following response:

"The system cannot find the file specified."

I suspect I don't have such files in C drive, and i and also tried to no avail "copy c:\wndows\repair\system.bak c:\windows\system32\config\system"

moreover, I am also not able to get into safe mode.

bad news for me so that I have not backup about 6 months of data and files which I still need to use. I m starting to suspected my hard disk is seriously corrupted.

While I can easily follow explicit directions, I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to PC's. pl explain in layman terms. thanks!

Expert advice is greatly appreciated!

cheers
Stephen

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 1st, 2011 12:00

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse. And you don't have to apologize. Microsoft never makes anything simple or easy!

Since you slip-streamed SP3 into XP on a new CD, you definitely should use that CD to install on the new hard drive.

You have to install the drivers in correct order:
1. Desktop System Software (DSS)

2. Chipset driver

3. Video driver for your specific video card

4. Audio driver for your specific audio card

5. Network driver

6. Any other drivers (eg, printer, mouse, etc)

If you already installed drivers for hardware marked with yellow !, that probably means you didn't install DSS and chipset as the first two drivers. Without those installed, other drivers either won't install or won't work.

If you've already installed DSS and chipset, proceed to install the others in the order listed above. Again, you only need the driver that's specific for each piece of hardware, even if Dell lists a bunch of different drivers for that type of hardware (eg, video card).

Ron

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 11:00

Is the boot hard drive on SATA0 or SATA1?

Try this:

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open the case and remove the motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Carefully reseat the data cable to the old drive at both ends (motherboard and drive)

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and reboot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

If it still doesn't recognize the old hard drive correctly in  BIOS setup, it might be toast... :emotion-7:

Ron

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 27th, 2011 07:00

A Windows XP "Repair" should get you going.  It will not delete any user data.  You will need the Windows XP disc.

How to run XP Repair

24 Posts

July 27th, 2011 09:00

I tried a repair install but I got as far as accepting the agreement (F8), and instead of getting to the screen to repair damage, I was presented a screen that said this:

The following list shows the existing partitioned and unpartitioned space on this computer:

* to set up windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER

* to create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C

* To delete the selected partition, press D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

152587 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB (27MB free)

C: Partition 2 [Local Disk] [NTFS] 152547 MB (92167MB free)

unpartitioned space 8 mb

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I selected C and "to set up Windows XP press Enter" , and it took me to another screen with this dire warning:

You chose to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another operating system. Installing Windows XP on this partition might cause the other operating system to function improperly. CAUTION: Installing multiple operating systems on a single partition is not recommended.

I quit the install because i believed this is a clean installation.

My Windows XP disc is SP2, and I have updated to SP3 a few years ago.

What should I do now?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 27th, 2011 10:00

This is a corrupt registry - commonly caused by a hard drive that has developed bad sectors.  Start with a full run of the Dell diagnostics - including an extended hard drive test.  F12 at powerup.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 27th, 2011 11:00

And one more thing...

Unfortunately, you won't be able to run an XP Repair if the CD is SP2 and the hard drive is SP3. I'm surprised it didn't abort with the typical Microsoft warning:

"The files on the CD are older than the files on the hard drive."

You either need to use an XP SP3 CD that's the same version of XP (eg, Home, Pro or MCE), or you have to create ("slip-stream") one using your Dell XP SP2 CD and a free download of SP3 from Microsoft.

Only other alternative is to run PC Restore or a Reformat/Reinstall, but all personal files and software will be lost, so your files have to be backed up on external media first.

Ron

24 Posts

July 28th, 2011 10:00

i did a  full run of the Dell diagnostics  extended hard drive test , it reveals nothing.

i did a hard drive diagnostics,it tells me:

Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y160M0 - Fail. Return Code: 7

I tried a repair install with  my created  ("slip-stream") SP3 CD ,  but I got as far as accepting the agreement (F8), and instead of getting to the screen to repair damage, again I was presented a screen that said this:

The following list shows the existing partitioned and unpartitioned space on this computer:

* to set up windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER

* to create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C

* To delete the selected partition, press D

What should I do now?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 28th, 2011 11:00

Replace the drive - the diagnostics are telling you something:  the drive has failed.  That's what "Code 7 " means.

Given that the drive is on the order of 7-8 years old, and given that it was produced at a time when Maxtor's engineering hit bottom (Maxtor was on a long slide toward oblivion before Seagate stepped in and took over), it's amazing it's lasted as long as it has.  These drives had a reputation for being horrendously unreliable - though not as bad as their immediate predecessor (the Plus 8).

You'll need a new, 3.5" desktop SATA drive.

If there are data on the drive you need, purchase a SATA cable with the new drive - once everything is reloaded, you can attach the drive as a secondary to see what you can recover.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 28th, 2011 16:00

Replace the drive - the diagnostics are telling you something:  the drive has failed.  That's what "Code 7 " means.

Given that the drive is on the order of 7-8 years old, and given that it was produced at a time when Maxtor's engineering hit bottom (Maxtor was on a long slide toward oblivion before Seagate stepped in and took over), it's amazing it's lasted as long as it has.  These drives had a reputation for being horrendously unreliable - though not as bad as their immediate predecessor (the Plus 8).

You'll need a new, 3.5" desktop SATA drive.

If there are data on the drive you need, purchase a SATA cable with the new drive - once everything is reloaded, you can attach the drive as a secondary to see what you can recover.

Agreed. The hard drive is toast. :emotion-9:

Ron

24 Posts

July 29th, 2011 00:00

Hi ejn63,

I don't quite understand your last post. pls correct me if i am wrong, Do u meant that if I install a new, 3.5" desktop SATA drive and attach the old drive  with a SATA cable I may have a chance to recover my data?

if that's possible, do u know where i can find such information or I would greatly appreciate if u could  kindly provide me:

1) a list compatible 3.5" desktop SATA drive for dimension 4700

2) the steps and procedures to install new SATA drive

3)  the steps and procedures to attach the old drive  with a SATA cable to new SATA drive

thks!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2011 04:00

Any sub-2Tbyte SATA desktop drive will work.  Simply replace the existing drive with the new one (service manual below).  Reload WIndows correctly (second link):

support.dell.com/.../parts.htm

support.dell.com/.../parts.htm

DO NOT do the reload with the old drive connected.

Once Windows is running again, connect the faulty drive to the second SATA port with the additional cable you purchased and connect the power supply to it.  See what you can read - the drive will show up as a secondary  if it's still readable.

24 Posts

July 29th, 2011 23:00

i have one question, should reload the new SATA drive with the Windows XP SP2 disc from DELL or should i use the new slip-stream XP SP3?

24 Posts

July 30th, 2011 00:00

kindly resend the second link, it's the same as the first link. thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 30th, 2011 09:00

i have one question, should reload the new SATA drive with the Windows XP SP2 disc from DELL or should i use the new slip-stream XP SP3?

spyslayer

The XP SP2 reinstallation disc will work fine for reinstalling XP.

After installing XP, you need install the drivers and applications in the following order,
Desktop System Software [if applicable]
Chipset
Video 
Network Interface Card [NIC], aka Ethernet.
Audio
Modem [if required]
Then all other drivers and applications.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 30th, 2011 19:00

If you use the slip-streamed XP SP3 CD, you'll save yourself from having to install SP3 separately afterwards.

If you have an internal floppy drive in this system, create a floppy diskette with the SATA drivers on another PC. Then watch for the prompt to install them during the XP installation. It's easy to miss to miss the prompt!

Installing SATA drivers from a floppy diskette is the ONLY way you can install them. And you can't install them afterwards, but you can live without them.  

Then install all the drivers in the exact order Bev listed.

Ron

No Events found!