Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 26th, 2013 19:00

530S auto power instruxctions

Running Windows 7 HomePremium x64 with 4GB of RAM on an Inspiron 530S, BIOS version: 1.0.8

I want my Inspiron 530S to self-boot from BIOS on the same day of every week or on the same day of every month, but I don't know how to configure the auto power function. When I set auto power ON  don't get  days or date, but am asked to insert a DEC number. What's that? CAn someone point me to instructions for this function? Thanks - edo

33 Posts

April 27th, 2013 12:00

OH,  it just occurred to me: DEC must mean "Days Elapsed Counter." So if today is Saturday 4/27 and I enter "2" I presume the machine will autoboot on Monday 4/29. The question is then, will it subsequently boot itself every Monday, or every other day?

I'm still bothered by my recollection that the BIOS allowed explicit entry of days of the week before I upgraded from Vista, but I may be mistaken, I may have been thinking of the BIOS on a different machine (which I'm in the process of rebuilding, so can't check). Anyway, as soon as I can get this one offline for a while, I'll try the DEC field under the assumption that "Days Elapsed Counter" is what it's telling me.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

April 26th, 2013 20:00

Hi edagro,

Ensure the Auto Power on is Enabled:

• Restart the computer and press F2 when you get to the Dell screen.
  • Use the arrow keys to find the "Power Management Setup and hit Enter.
  • Scroll to "Automatic Power On" and Enable it.
  • Now Set the Auto Power on Date and Auto Power On time.
  • Tap F10 to Save Changes.
  • Now restart the computer.

Turn it off each night. It will boot itself up at the set time.

Awaiting your response!

33 Posts

April 27th, 2013 11:00

Thanks, I know how to reach the Auto Power screen. Here's the problem:

In the Auto Power screen, the date field does not allow me to insert days of the week (as in Vista), When I highlight that field, I get a subwindow which asks me to "Key in a DEC number" The choices are between from 1 to 31. I presume these are days of the month. So my question is, how to handle this DEC field to get, say, once-a-week or once-each-Tuesday boots.

There's also another field "AC recovery" (choices: on, off, last) which don't know quite what to make of.

I'm also mystified why the BIOS display should change upon upgrading from Vista to Win7.

I'd experiment with these settings to work my way to understanding them, but am running a server and can't be offline while I go through multiple restarts. Just thought someone here could explain the DEC field.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

May 1st, 2013 01:00

Hi edagro,

DEC service calculates the duration, counting the day count and the number of days, months and years between two dates.

AC Recovery:

This option sets what action the PC takes when power is restored. Options are as follows:

Last — Return to the status before the power failure

On

Off

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!