Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2013 13:00

660s won't boot up

Hi,

I have a 660S desktop that is under a month old, that will not boot up after a windows 8 auto update. The black screen with a dell logo loads, and progress bar barely begins to fill before the computer freezes. There are no warning beeps, or amber colored lights when it starts.   I've tried:

F12, Shift+F8, and every other F command to try an enter an alternative screen

I've also disconnected all the peripherals

Drained the power (by holding the power button down) 

Verified the keyboard is in fact working

still nothings working...I've looked at all the trouble shootings guides, and everything seems to require the use of an F command, which I can't access. Can you please advise. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 13th, 2013 13:00

Did you make a Recovery/Repair disk or thumb drive? See if you can boot to that. You should be able to use F12. Start tapping F12 as soon as you reboot-don't wait for any screen--and that should get you into the Boot menu.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

June 14th, 2013 01:00

Hello JMB324,

In addition to what Mary G has said, I would also request you to check if the system is entering the BIOS Setup. To enter BIOS Setup, restart the computer and keep tapping F2 key at the Dell logo screen.

In case you are able to enter the Boot Menu by F12, please run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics. Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code (if any) and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. 

Please try the steps and write back with details.

2 Posts

December 29th, 2014 08:00

I have had this happen on several 660s and 3647 Inspirons that we have at our company.  it sits at a Dell logo with a loading bar at the bottom.  

660s Has latest A11 bios (Win8)

3647 had older A04 Bios which I have since updated. (win8.1)

Oddly enough I tell my remote users to just hit the ENTER key and it resumes loading!

I still think the 660s has a BIOS issue that needs to be fixed, they have had several releases relating to Sleep Mode issues.

On the 3647 models I noticed in the windows eventlog when it was powered off it would go to SLEEP during the shutdown?!?

Still looking waiting for an updated BIOS for the 660s though, waiting to see if it is fixed with A05 update on the 3647.

Steve

No Events found!