Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 5th, 2013 22:00

8250 Ethernet/PCI drivers will not install

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 desktop with all/most of its original CDs.  The hard drive in the machine died, so I replaced it and installed Windows XP Pro on a new drive using the original Dell disc.  Everything except the Ethernet and the 'PCI controller' works; those show up with yellow question marks by the devices.

I ran into this thread--http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19505906.aspx?pi21953=1--posted by a user who had the same problem with the same model, but I still haven't been able to get my 8250 working.

I installed the chipset first, and then the drivers in the recommended order, but the Broadcom Ethernet driver does not appear to install.  I don't get error messages, but when I run the Broadcom diagnostic tool, it tells me nothing's been installed.

The copy of XP Pro that came with the machine is SP1a, but I have installed SP3.

The machine doesn't appear to recognize the hard drive as its primary drive; when booting, I get the message "Primary HD 1 not found / F1 to continue".  XP boots normally once I press F1.  There is a slave hard drive, but I have completely disconnected it for the reinstallation process.  It's not plugged into anything.

The Ethernet appears to be built directly into the motherboard.

This is my second try at installing the drivers.  When I couldn't get the Ethernet working the first time, I used System Restore to roll the computer back to before I even installed the chipset.

I have no idea what to do now.  My best guess is that (1) I haven't been installing the chipset properly, or (2) Broadcom is not the correct driver for my hardware.  Some of the drivers on the official Dell support page for the 8250 are tagged A05, and this machine's BIOS is A04; could that be an issue?  Some third-party sites suggest checking the registry values to be sure that the chipset installed properly.  I don't know enough about computers to fool with either the BIOS or registry, though.

Thank you for reading.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 6th, 2013 06:00

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet , v.5.30, A00
http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R56237.EXE

Intel PRO/100 Network Drivers    6.1.3.14    
http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R53599.EXE

Could be 3com 3C905 ethernet instead of intel pro 10/100/1000 Ethernet. 

Chipset drivers are NOT optional. 

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/8178/eng/infinst_enu.exe

3C905C-TX

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R49958.EXE

Drives are NOT Master/Slave they should all be set Cable Select.

In device manager is the "Hardware Id"
PCI\VEN_10B7&DEV_9055&SUBSYS_905510B7&REV_30    ???
PCI\VEN_10B7&DEV_9055&SUBSYS_905510B7
PCI\VEN_10B7&DEV_9055&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_10B7&DEV_9055&CC_0200

3 Posts

November 6th, 2013 18:00

ETA:

Actually, I may have to reinstall the operating system again.  On booting, instead of getting the "F1" error and XP loading, now I'm getting "Primary Hard Disk 1" AND "Primary Hard Disk 0" not found errors.  In setup, both show as "Unknown Device" (only one hard drive is plugged in, and it never showed up as an "Unknown Device").

The WD Caviar Blue is a refurbished drive from NewEgg.com and still under warranty; I've never had problems with it before.  :(

I know the easy solution here would be to buy a new machine, but that's not financially possible right now.  :(

3 Posts

November 6th, 2013 18:00

SpeedStep, thanks so much for replying!  I still don't have the 8250 connecting to the network, though.

This is what I've done since:

* Changed the pin settings to cable select.  (The secondary drive remains disconnected.)  The HD XP is installed on is a 160gb Western Digital Caviar Blue, if that has any relevance.

* Turned on PC; still receiving the "Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 not found, strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility".  This continued to happen with every reboot; XP loaded as usual once F1 was pressed.

* Once the PC booted, I used System Restore to return it to the first restore point, the one automatically created immediately after reinstalling XP.

* I'm using a Western Digital Passport portable hard drive to copy the drivers onto the 8250.  When I plugged it in, the system prompted me to reboot to "finish installing your hardware".  Did so, got the F1 message as usual, copied over the files.

* I installed the chipset you linked, the one from Intel.com, instead of the chipset I used last time (the one on Dell's support page for the 8250).

* I installed the audio drivers from the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 CD that shipped with the desktop.  (Drivers only, headphones as the speaker setup, digital speaker not set as default.)

* I installed the drivers on another CD that came with the machine:  "Drivers & Utilities / Dell Dimension REsource CD" which is labelled as containing: "drivers, diagnostics & utilities, computer documentation"

* Once the diagnostic utility was installed, it showed these drivers as being installed:

ATI 128mb DDR Radeon 9700

Intel 800 Series Integrated Chipset rev. A06-00

Network (NIC) Drivers Intel 10/100 LOM rev. A04-00

Control Panel > System still displays the yellow question marks by Ethernet, PCI, video controller, and video controller (VGA compatible)

* I created another System Restore point, and then installed the 3com driver (the 3C905C-TX one you linked) and allowed the computer to reboot after.

* In the other thread, it was mentioned that some of the drivers are incompatible with XP Pro SP1a; I found that to be true on my previous attempts.  Once I installed SP3 to the system, during a previous attempt, the video/VGA video devices were no longer marker with yellow question marks.

* Upon running SP3, however, I received this message: "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer."  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798  This page seems to address the issue, so I will make another restore point, and see if that helps.

Thanks again for helping with this!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 7th, 2013 08:00

If you have to reinstall Remove All Drives and make sure that ALL Drives are set CABLE SELECT. This includes Optical Drives on the other cable.

NOT MASTER

NOT SLAVE

Then Install using 1 drive primary Drive 0 and no secondary drive.

The Crypto messages mean the Date/Time is off.

No Events found!