Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2011 09:00

8250 won't load XP help!!

I think my HDD is going bad first I had a corrupt user file which I fixed with a system restore. Now it won't load XP at all says missing system file. I have tried repair option  from the XP disk and try to use automated system restore it prompts me to put the system restore in the floppy dive. I don't even have a floppy dive in this system anymore let alone  the disk because this machine is almost 10 years old. Where can I get the system restore on cd or what other options do i have I'm at a loss here!!!! 

2 Posts

January 29th, 2011 10:00

Yes thank you I know how to do a new OS install but that deletes everything I guess I'll have to try to find that floppy and borrow a drive from someone. I have some pics and email folders I really would like to keep so I won't reload XP until its the last resort.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2011 10:00

amkjak

There is no download/disc for 'System Restore' available, sounds like you need to carry out a clean reinstall of XP, followed by loading the drivers and applications.

How to carry out a clean reinstall of XP.

First, disconnect all the peripherals from the system, except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

You can use the Dell's Guide for a Manual Reinstallation of windows HERE and maybe this interactive guide for a clean reinstall of XP HERE can help.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

After installing XP, you need to install the drivers and applications in the correct order, see HERE.

A hint: After installing each driver, restart the system.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

14.4K Posts

January 29th, 2011 15:00

IF you really think your harddrive is going bad you might be better off getting a new drive installing XP on that and then use the old drive in a secondary mode to retrieve your old files.

No Events found!