Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 12th, 2015 09:00

8700 A11 BIOS. Can't boot ALL DVD's?

I've discovered, probably due to Secure Boot and UEFI drives I can NOT boot to all DVD's? Only it seems ones made on THIS PC or I guess made by vendors that are UEFI.

There even was a DELL Support article for Win8 (I'm on W8.1, but the article is on BIOS settings) that is for a different BIOS and I don't have those options. (

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln142679/en

)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2015 12:00

Only 64 bit versions of windows or Ubuntu 12.04.2 or higher will boot.  Lower than 8 requires secure boot to be OFF and Legacy CSM boot to be ON.

190 Posts

August 12th, 2015 15:00

Not sure I understand?

I'm running W8.1 x64. Are you say ALL boot DVD's should present the one line to press a key to boot the DVD then?

I don't recall having this problem before either? Could it be A11 of the BIOS? I thought it was the BIOS that put that line up, not the OS?

I have a DVD created on an XPS 8500, it boots fine on that PC and an XPS 435T here.

I have a DVD created on an XPS 435T, it boots fine on that PC and an XPS 8500 here.

Neither of those two DVD's will boot the XPS 8700. Why? Or should I say how can I make it happen?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 13th, 2015 07:00

UEFI locks out older os and os that do not have the extortion fee paid to have signature in bios.

This excludes ALL 32 bit os's from ever booting.  Canonical paid microsoft to have a signature starting with UBUNTU 12.0.4.2  64 bit.

Once bios becomes Class 3 secure boot CANNOT be turned off and therefore these machines become windows only.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 13th, 2015 08:00

UEFI = MICROSOFT JAIL

UEFI = NO 32 BIT BOOTING

UEFI = NO non approved booting.

MBR AKA msdos and FAT32 , SYSLINUX and GRUB booting is not allowed.

XP and Dos and lower does not allow for AHCI GPT PARTITIONS.

No further explanation will be provided.

This is microsoft's doing so if you don't like it then you need to ask the source.

All previous os have been locked out at the UEFI bios level.

Microsoft appears to have taken this step from Apple's playbook.

Once a new version of OSX comes out apple updates their UEFI bios so that previous working versions of the OS on the SAME hardware ONLY boot the new version of the os or newer.

190 Posts

August 13th, 2015 08:00

I understand that, but I thought turning OFF UEFI and Secure Boot would allow the DVD to boot?

I did not test all the possible DVD/CD's that can be booted, but one I had, the DELL provided W8.1 Recovery DVD did boot. My Symantec System Restore did not. I was able to get what I needed bootable as turning off the BIOS setting did not allow it to boot. I copied the DVD to my hard disk and then burned those files to new DVD on the 8700. That new DVD did boot. I assume it is NOW a UEFI DVD?

What a pain...

Other possibility is the BIOS change? Went from A10 to A11. I wonder if that is the root cause. I've had this PC for a year and half and I can NOT recall any problems like this in the past?

190 Posts

August 13th, 2015 09:00

Not disputing what you posted. I guess the question now becomes how come it doesn't boot when I turned off Secure Boot and UEFI? It changes to LEGACY, shouldn't that allow booting? An 8700 BIOS A11 problem?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 13th, 2015 10:00

Legacy Does NOT EQUAL MBR DOS Booting.

Legacy Does NOT EQUAL MBR ATA XP Booting

Legacy Does NOT EQUAL unapproved OS loading.

Not booting may be based on wrong Sata Operation mode
or secure boot install that will need to be done over in unsecure boot mode aka Legacy CSM.

Updating the bios will not fix corruption of OS on hard drive.

Changing from Secure Boot to Non Secure Boot will not fix corruption of OS on hard drive.

No Events found!