Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

November 8th, 2004 02:00

ATI x800 XT and game crashes...

Ok, I just got a Dimension XPS Gen 3 last week.
P4 processor 3.60 GHz
XP Home
ATI Raedon x800 XT
1 GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive

When I installed GTA: Vice City, I would try to start up the game and it would just crash to a black screen, and I would have to power it off.

Decided to try The Sims 2 on it to see if it reacted the same way, and of course it did.  Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal also reacted that way.

I did dxdiag to check my Direct X stuff, and the first two tests (black & white rectangles, non-fullscreen bouncing white square) were fine, but it crashed in full-screen mode.  I did a system restore to the beginning just in case something corrupted direct x.  It still didn't work. 

Interestingly enough, I did a full reformat of the hard drive, and now the dxdiag tests work fine.  GTA: Vice City also seems to work as well now, although I haven't played it longer than 20 minutes to really find out.

BUT, The Sims 2 still crashes...  even in windowed mode.  I would wonder if it was just a problem with that game, had all the previous stuff not happened... but frankly, my new computer should have been able to run GTA: Vice City without a full reformat.

I'm thinking of trying to send it back / get a trade in... but I want to avoid that hassle if at all possible.  Any suggestions?

EDIT:  After the reformat, I haven't re-installed my virus scan program, and I disabled the windows firewall -- that comp isn't connected to the internet yet.  As I mentioned, the Sims 2 still crashes.

Message Edited by Nimuial on 11-07-2004 10:13 PM

Message Edited by Nimuial on 11-07-2004 10:14 PM

8 Posts

November 8th, 2004 02:00

I got the exact same problem except my card's a ATI Radeon x800 SE and it crashes with Rollercoaster Tycoon, Halo and Star Wars: KOTOR and I know for a  fact my system can perfectly run Rollercoaster Tycoon (any system can nowadays), but my game crashes and my monitor will go into sleep mode...

125 Posts

November 8th, 2004 15:00

That happened to me too with my x800xt...I remembered when I first installed GTA:Vice city that it crashed every 10-20 minutes...then by magic the problem dissapeared,though that problem only happened with vice city. Before vice city I had problems with every game I tried,because the intelligent here at dell spain put the audigy just below the graphic...changed and problem dissapeared(have you ever monitored your temps??). Hey,the x800xt man,what are your temps,idle and load??drivers you're using??ambient temps and the place where you have your computer may also be of help,since that was my problem...I know I don't have a Gen 3,but I do have a x800xt which used to have problems so...resolutions you're using??AA and AF??in-game or by hardware??
No Events found!