Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2010 09:00

Adding a second HDD to 530s

Hi,

I'm trying to add a second HDD to my 530s and I'm running into some problems with the drive being recognized. The OS is Windows XP SP3, and the drive is a 1 TB WD Caviar (SATA).

I was unable to find a spare power connector as the manual indicates.There are separate power cables to the boot disk and the DVD burner are coming off the motherboard, so I pulled the cable going to the DVD burner and plugged it into the Caviar. The Caviar does not show up under My Computer, nor is it recognized by WD Align. However, when I looked at the CMOS set up, it shows up under SATA 5.

Any suggestions on getting the OS to recognize the drive? Also, am I correct in that there are spare connectors on the motherboard to connect additional power cables, or do I need to shop for a splitter?

Many thanks.

Joe

4 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I need to open the box up again, but I am fairly certain that there was a second plug coming off the data cable that goes into the primary drive. I used that for the second drive.

Thanks for pointing out the motherboard layout. I missed that earlier. Would moving the power cable from the SATA5 spot to SATA1 help?

Joe

14.4K Posts

Do you have both the power and the data cables hooked up?  SATA drives need two connections in order to work properly.  You have four SATA  connectors on the board for the data connection. SATA 0 which should be your primary hard drive and depending on how many other drives you have will determine if you have any connections available your motherboard layout can be seen HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

14.4K Posts

August 29th, 2010 10:00

Should not make any real difference. Just make sure that what ever port it is connected to you enable if you have that option in the bios

4 Posts

August 30th, 2010 09:00

I just had a thought: Where should the jumpers be set?

14.4K Posts

August 30th, 2010 09:00

SATA drives do not need the jumpers that is only for an IDE type drive to set up the master/slave .

4 Posts

August 30th, 2010 10:00

That's what I thought (I have no jumpers installed now). I'm stumped on this one.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 30th, 2010 10:00

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I need to open the box up again, but I am fairly certain that there was a second plug coming off the data cable that goes into the primary drive. I used that for the second drive.

Thanks for pointing out the motherboard layout. I missed that earlier. Would moving the power cable from the SATA5 spot to SATA1 help?

Joe

bonnerj

Power cables do not connect to SATA ports, I believe you are think of a SATA DATA cable.

There is a spare power connector inside the case for a second hard drive, but you will need to buy a SATA data cable simiar to HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

, try to buy the cable from a local computer store to save the S & H.

See HERE, P3,P5 and P6 are SATA power connectors.

The procedures for installing a second SATA hard drive in the 530s, are HERE

As this is a Slim case, you will need to purchase , 4 x Dell Hard Drive Shoulder Mounting Screws, the part number is WN322 and these can be purchased from Dell Spare parts @ 1-800-357-3355, M-F 7 to 7 CDT and have system's "Service Tag" handy.

After installing the drive enter the system setup and check that the SATA port the hard drive is connected is 'enabled' [on] and the drive is recognized.

For Vista to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management, right click new drive, select format, then you can assign a drive letter.

Bev.

No Events found!