Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2011 07:00

After xp reformat, ALL pages load very SLOWLY

Reinstalled xp-sp3 along with all xp updates recently, i know its hard to diagnose computer problems through forums, so i'm providing as many details as i can.  I have the same firewall, a few of the same programs, same firefox version, same few addons, different av ( disabled it for a test, no change). Same results in firefox safe mode & using other browsers too. I'm using a d-link adapter in a home network, no changes there either, or to the registry & there is NO MALWARE on here. I have some really good security programs & i surf with sandboxie or returnil. I can't figure why every site or link i click on loads so SLOWLY. Before the reformat, when i had some OS problems, the pages loaded quickly. You would think that after a reformat, its like having a new pc again, that this wouldn't happen. The pc boots up quicker than before, no problems connecting to any site, just very frustrating having to wait anywhere from about 15 to 30 seconds for a page to load. I have enough ram & over 3/4 free space on my hdd available & no other hardware problems. I understand there are different variables that come into play connecting to a site, but this happens on all my bookmarked sites & anything i click on. I've performed a tweak test from "broadband dslreports.com" to test the connection speed & it was working fine. There has to be some setting thats off or something that needs changing. I'm thinking about uninstalling the video adapter & reinstalling it if that might help. Any suggestions, i'm all ears. I know i should be thankful i don't have worse problems on here, but i can't take this much longer. THANX for your time/help.

872 Posts

July 21st, 2011 07:00

5 Posts

July 21st, 2011 13:00

dell 2350, only used for about 7months when new, been boxed up for yrs, recently setup full time to home network. I've used it off & on the past yr. hooked up to someone i live with's pc connections to keep it updated when they were out of town. All drivers were installed in correct order with no problems. I appreciate the help but IE has nothing to do with it. I've posted on some other forums, maybe someone will have an answer. The slow loading pages is excruciating! I haven't uninstalled/reinstalled the video driver yet like someone suggested on another site yet, maybe later tonite. I have no idea why the sites load so slow after the reinstall. Who knows, it might be one of the many xp updates i installed along with sp3. THANX anyway.

872 Posts

July 21st, 2011 15:00

872 Posts

July 21st, 2011 15:00

872 Posts

July 21st, 2011 16:00

5 Posts

July 21st, 2011 16:00

Its a "dimension" and i've been using FIREFOX as my primary browser for many yrs. now. The only time i use IE is to download xp updates. I installed "chrome" yesterday to see if it was any faster at loading pages than FF, but it wasn't. I've never cared for the plain-jane interface of chrome anyway. I don't have any hardware problems or wireless connection problems either since i'm using a network adapter with a strong signal. The pc is still fairly new as you can read what i posted right above your reply about it only being used for 7 months & boxed up for many yrs. till now. I have 1gb of ram & over 3/4 free space on my HDD. The only problem i'm having is the sites loading so slowly. I've posted on a few other forums, hopefully someone might have an answer. Thanx anyway.

5 Posts

July 21st, 2011 19:00

Muto, I found out whats causing the slow loading pages. Its my firewall, "privatefirewall". I installed it earlier in the yr when i had it hooked up one weekend. I'm a member (bid deal huh) of "wilderssecurity.com", a great site where you can get alot of  info which is where i learned about it in their firewall forum. Anyway, a guy on another site tonight gave me a link to "pingtest.net" to do a ping just to check the network. I'd already performed a ping test & a tweak test on dslreports.com & had no problems. So i performed another one on pingtest & it wouldn't work saying my firewall or av is blocking it &  try again later. So i disabled the av, set the firewall to allow all traffic instead of filter traffic & the ping test gave me an "A" meaning no problems. Later on i clicked on some sites, they opened pretty quickly, then i noticed in the notification tray that i forgot to enable the av & reset the firewall. I re-enabled the av, left the firewall to allow all traffic, & the sites loaded pretty quickly. So to sum up this looong post, i'm going on wilders tomorrow on their firewall forum & post a msg. about it & hopefully some folks who are light yrs ahead of me in computer knowledge can advise me on the settings to avoid this. I never had this problem with the firewall before the reformat though. Anyway, SORRY for the long post. THANX for the help anyway.

872 Posts

July 21st, 2011 20:00

No Events found!