Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2009 03:00

AlienFX does not work on XPS 730x Windows 7

I purchsed my 730x with the Windows 7 upgrade. I just upgraded to Windows 7 today and can not get the lights to change using AlienwareFX or even the nVidia ESA tool. I am using the Vista x64 version. Will there be a Windows 7 version of the software released? If not I am going to be very upset that I spent the money on this knowing I was getting the Windows 7 update from Dell with the purchase. If Dell sells a product with an OS upgrade they should support the hardware with that OS.

I really hate looking at this computer right now with all of the lights being different colors.

I have also found that my nVidia 9800GT runs about 10c hotter at idle with the fans at 100% than it did with Vista x64.

10 Posts

November 4th, 2009 10:00

You and me together!

I'm on the opposite side of the fench. I haven't installed windows 7 yet for this reason. I don't want to install due to losing AlienFX lighting system. I've seen some drivers and software of AlienFX on the Dell Driver Support page but am not sure if installing those drivers/app will enable the lighting system to work.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 4th, 2009 11:00

The XPS 625 (XP, Vista32/64)  AlienFX version 1.0.36v2 A04 works on my XPS 730x running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. The 730x driver page still has the older 1.0.36 A03. Since the A04 version works, we will not be creating a dedicated Windows 7 version.

81 Posts

November 4th, 2009 17:00

I have this version and can report that it seems to work just fine in Windows 7.

Mark

10 Posts

November 4th, 2009 22:00

Thank you both very much, you just gave me the green light to install windows7!

940 Posts

November 4th, 2009 22:00

After a few reboots it finally started working correctly and when I hit apply the change now happens. Strange...

2 Posts

December 14th, 2009 05:00

Mine still not work I have same problem with you guys. after I intall the ALIENFX V04, it always shows that 'The theme could not be opened'. I still can't use it. I need your help, thanks!

3 Posts

January 9th, 2010 06:00

I tried this some time ago using the link provided, I have since reinstalled a fresh copy of My Windows 7 and sometimes the Alienfx works sometimes it doesn't, Dell should make a completely Compatible Dell AlienFX for Windows 7, and test it properly, after all they sold this with the windows 7 upgrade, I have been trouble shooting this since this post, Very dissapointing Dell, leaving people hanging because the need to fix this to make customers happy isn't bigger then the need to save some dough. Dell needs to realize how many customer will be lost due to leaving us high and dry. I don't know very many people that will get over spending so much for a system that doesn't do what was promised.

No Events found!