Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2012 11:00

All-in-One stand question for Optiplex 790 Usff; what's this connector for??

This is my first experience with the AIO Stand and Small form factor optiplex.  I have put the stand and cpu together, mounted it and a wide screen monitor to the stand, and it's all running, but I have a few questions about what gets plugged in where.

The diagram they send is so small there's no way to really differentiate the various connectors unless I use a magnifying glass on the sheet!  I figure most all the connections out, except for one.  There is a flat connector, similar to, but bigger than USB, that is attached to the Stand, but I only see one end of it, and I can't figure out what it does.    Where does that get plugged into?  I plugged it into a port on the CPU that it fits in, but I'm thinking it's not video, because my monitor is VGA, so I plugged into that.

Is there a PDF or some verbose info on this stand and how to install it?

thanks!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 20:00

This forum is not a place to negotiate a GSA contract  225-0776 is a GSA Dell vendor part number.

GS35F0889N

USFF does not support Dual Displays unless the INTEL HD 2000 does and there are no expansion slots.

You would need a displayport to vga adapter to try dual vga.  There are many many many issues with DVI and VGA with intel video including but not limited to

monitors not waking from sleep and monitors not being dual aka mirrored instead of dual display.

There is no SPLITTER. This is NOT DMS59 video.

If you need dual DVI you could use a USB to DVI and a Displayport to DVI adapter.

OptiPlex 790 Ultra Small Form Factor Base 90 PSU (225-0776)

Opti 790,CORE i3 2120 Processor (3.3GHz, 3M) (317-6646)

4GB,Non-ECC,1333MHz DDR3,2X2GB,Dell OptiPlex 990 (317-6987)

Dell USB Entry Keyboard, No Hot Keys, English, OptiPlex (331-2024)

Dell 20 Inch Flat Panel Display,E2011H,OptiPlex,Precision and Latitude (320-9320)

Integrated Video,HD Graphics 2000, Dell Optiplex 790 (320-2520)

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 28th, 2012 13:00

I'm confused! You said your system is a 790, but that doesn't look like an AOI  (All-in-One) to me.

Pdf of the Optiplex 790 Setup sheet is here (scroll down to small form factor) and for the full SFF manual here.

If that's not what you need, click Support at very top of any forum page. On the next page, enter your Service Tag number (or allow the site to find it for you) and that should get you to page with links to the proper Setup sheet and manual.

31 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 11:00

I'm back...  After closer inspection, no, it's not HDMI, it's a "Display Port" connector!  But, there's only ONE end of it sticking out of the All In One Stand.  WHERE IS THE OTHER END?  Inside somewhere?  How to take it apart to find the other end?  

The documentation sure is lacking here...

and RoHe; the CPU is Item Number 225-0776, "OptiPlex 790 USFF Base 90 PSU", with Itme # 317-2829 "Dell All-in-One Stand only, Height Adjustable, VGA/Display Port, Optiplex USFF"  That's straight from the Packing slip.

The two displays I got have VGA and DVI-D connectors, so I need converters AND I need a splitter, because this is supposed to get set up as a dual-display system.  

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 18:00

I've asked the forum experts if any of them can help you. Stay tuned...!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 18:00

An uploaded picture or links to a sales page might help us, help you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 19:00

Is it really an AIO, or does the cpu box just fit on the back of the LCD stand?

Maybe like this:

Connect one via DVI and the other via DVI or DisplayPort. The cable for the second LCD should come with the second LCD or purchased separately. Don't use VGA unless you have to.

31 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 08:00

After some talk with tech support, and some looking at all my parts;

1) The other end of the Display Port adapter is tucked inside, behind a plastic panel on the stand.  It can be pulled out for connection to a display that has a Display Port, or left inside.

2) The only way to use dual displays with the particular graphics card I have (Intel HD 2000) will support 2 displays, but not with a splitter.  One display is now connected to the Display Port, the other to the VGA connector.  Kind of clunky, but it works.

I'm thinking that in a perfect world, there might be a "configurator", that would ask a few questions to make sure there's not as much confusion as to how a Dual Monitor setup can be accomplished.  I "assumed" a splitter, but I was uneducated about Display Port technology, which cannot be split with just a Y connector.

I've got the machine up and running with dual displays as described above, and the VGA-connected display doesn't really look any worse than the Display Port connected one.

31 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 08:00

The video does show the setup I have.  I've already managed to break the cable cover!  Too few instructions received in the box.  So why's this video on YouTube, but can't be found via Dell Tech Support???  :-)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 4th, 2013 15:00

I've got the machine up and running with dual displays as described above, and the VGA-connected display doesn't really look any worse than the Display Port connected one.

Good to hear you got it working.

RE: VGA ... depends on resolution and LCD quality.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 4th, 2013 15:00

The video does show the setup I have.  I've already managed to break the cable cover!  Too few instructions received in the box.  So why's this video on YouTube, but can't be found via Dell Tech Support???  :-)

This setup is pretty cool and a little tricky at the same time. You can see from the video that they really put some thought into it.

RE: YouTube video only ... good question  :emotion-1:  Hopefully, your post will prompt Dell to add additional directions to make end-user's experience better. Thanks for bringing this to Dell's attention.
No Events found!