Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2010 23:00

Also a burned XPS 730x Owner

Hi Guys,

I'm from Australia but after finding this thread have created an account here. Just wanted to voice my objection to being burned by Dell on this machine. I lashed out on the 730x as I wanted a machine I could keep upgrading over time. Currently running Win 7 Ultimate x64.

I'm fine with having to upgrade the PSU due to lack of connectors (& the higher power requirements of GPUs which Dell obviously couldn't forsee) as that's not a big job to do, but Dell not continuing support on the BIOS updates means the motherboard is basically useless as well.

Replacing the MB is a job I shouldn't have to do, just because of Dells lack of support. Like other users have pointed out almost every motherboard manufacturer provides updates for the board until the last processor is released & on a machine of this calibre & cost I expected nothing less from Dell.

Was looking forward to installing the new Intel 990x when it's released but it looks like I won't be able to do that from what I've read here. I was also about to install dual 5970s or dual 480s but will wait for a new motherboard now.

And my final upgrade this year was going to be 12Gb of XMP memory. Out of interest anyone know if the BIOS was ever updated to support that much XMP?

In addition to my supporting this thread, which seems mainly to point out Dell's lack of BIOS upgrades, I'd like to point out that as I am the IT evaluator for the nameless large government organisation I work at, I have been the only reason we still use Dells, as I am always pushed to swap to HPs.

So if it's any consulation for everyone burned by this, In 2011 we will no longer be a Dell shop. Maybe Dell will better support their customers if they realise consequences like this can occur. We currently have over 2500 PCs to put it in perspective for you, which are replaced every 3-4 years.

I'll be checking out the Facebook group as I too would like to know peoples experiences in installing new MBs in the unit.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 18th, 2010 08:00

You need to keep one thing in mind when buying a "factory made" PC, whether Dell or HP or whoever.  They are in the business of selling new computers. 

Dell, in most cases, only updates drives, BIOS, etc it the PC does not meet Dell's published spec's.  As noted with the company business of selling new PC's there is no real incentive to modify a product to prolong it's useability.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

August 18th, 2010 10:00

Interesting point of view & unfortunately true. But, it is with that line off thinking that the world is as full of greed as it is today. If more people/corporations were less concerned about their own wealth & more concerned with bettering this planet (no matter how small or inconsequential it may seem) I'm quite sure the world would be in a much better state.

But you’ve also missed the point to a degree. What you said is certainly true about your Dimension E510, but the same should not be true for a top of the line $6000 enthusiast PC.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 18th, 2010 16:00

I have to disagree.  One would think the "top of the line" PC (it is not now the top of the line as the Alienware models are the top of the line Dell gaming PC's) would get special treatment but they are not.  All are treated (or mis-treated as you want to think) the same.  Computer hardware changes so fast that what is "current today" is "old technology tomorrow".  Even my current 'home built" PC with standard Retail ATX parts (Intel Motherboard) is "old technology" and if I wanted to upgrade this PC I will have to replace the motherboard, but I'm not crying as it's just the way it is.

881 Posts

August 18th, 2010 22:00

This guy replaces 2500 pc's every three or four years. And somehow Our country is screwed up?

Hopefully he is gone.

Jeff :emotion-22:

881 Posts

August 18th, 2010 22:00

And no I do NOT recycle my beer cans. Nothing quite like the smell of a nicely stocked landfill in the morning!!!

Jeff :emotion-22: :emotion-22:

No Events found!