Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 26th, 2014 11:00

BSOD on Dell Studio Desktop Vista

I need help. I am trying to cure my neighbor's computer of constant BSODs. I am at the very edge of understanding the mini dumps. I tried cleaning up old temp files and cookies, ran Malwarebytes (free version) and tried cooling tower unit with an external fan. Its an x64 machine. See mini dump of last four BSODs.[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/DellStudioDesktopDump.txt:550:0]

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 28th, 2014 09:00

There is no one size fits all fix. User may have malware but more likely SHUT THE MACHINE OFF When it said Applying Updates DO NOT TURN OFF.

You will have to F8 factory recover or reinstall altogether if this is broken.  Drive corruption can break the factory restore.

Caused By Driver  : dfsc.sys

Stop Error 0x0000008E (KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DFSR\Parameters\StopReplicationOnAutoRecovery

2 Posts

April 13th, 2014 09:00

I tried restoring the drivers using the CD that came with the computer. Still got BSOD in a few days. Then made up a boot disc with MEMTEST86+ and ran that. The test stopped about 3 minutes in and the screen lit up red. Pulled the panel off the side of the tower to check RAM seating. I found a set of cables that were touching one of the RAM sticks. I wire-tied it out of the way and reseated all 4 sticks. Reran the MEMTEST for 5 hours without a problem (37% complete). I ESC'd out of the test and rebooted into Vista. No problems yet after running for nearly 2 weeks. Wish me luck. PS: got a nice 12 pack for my effort.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 13th, 2014 09:00

From your description, I figured it was a hardware issue. Well done!
No Events found!