Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2015 10:00

Basic Procedure to Upgrade from HD4600 to Radeon R7-250e

What (I think) I know:

• Inspiron 3847 + R7-250e (DDR5): this card will physically fit
  • Disable Secure Boot + enable Legacy in bios before installing card
  • Card will work with 300w PSU

I aim to download CCC (suite) first, (but not install) prior to physically installing card. After card is installed, boot up to safe mode and install Catalyst driver. Reboot normally (Windows 7 Professional).

1. Is this the proper procedure?
  2. Will Intel HD4600 onboard driver need to be disabled in Device Mgr or in bios or at all?
  3. Was/Is there some conflict with MS concerning funky updates that didn't play nice when AMD graphics and Intel chipset mixed on same mobo?

I will appreciate any reassurances, advice, suggestions and/or answers. Disclaimer: my n00bness requires minimalistic geek-speak in response. Thanks!

Shae

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 24th, 2015 07:00

Uninstall the Legacy Catalyst 10.X 12.X 13.X Drivers. Do not change the INTEL Driver.  Catalyst Control Center REQUIRES Dotnet and REQUIRES That its working and the latest and without need of updates.

Download and install the DOTNET 4.5.2 standalone.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642

Once this is installed and rebooted you can download the current Omega drivers.

If Omega 14.X crashes with STOP 0x0000000CA during install you will have to do manual windows updates.

over and over until there are no more.  Then try reinstalling the omega drivers again. Only use WHQL drivers not Beta Drivers.

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 16:00

Will anyone give me a hand here? Specifically (#2) whether I will need to disable the Intel driver?

Anybody?

4 Posts

June 24th, 2015 09:00

Thank you SpeedStep. Doesn't sound fun but I appreciate the info!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 24th, 2015 10:00

AMD is not forthcoming about Catalyst Control Manager crashing.

The Scenario is the same for Vista SP2 or WIN7 or WIN8.

I tested this several times on various dells and the result was always the same. You receive a "Stop 0x000000CA" error when you get to the part where it says "detecting video Hardware"

Crash if you try to install omega 14.X WHQL

If you install DOTNET 4.52 immediately sometimes it helps sometimes not.

All of them after downloading and installing hundreds of updates then stopped crashing on the Omega driver.  It dies right at the point where it says detecting graphics hardware then Blue Screen  0x000000CA.

Its enough of an annoyance that I might not ever buy another ATI card in the future.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2015 17:00

I might have an answer (verified by many, as recently as June 2015, albeit not me personally ... yet).

Go to "C:\amd\(version)\config" folder.

Open "InstallManager.cfg" file in Notepad.

Change last line "WorkaroundInstall = false" to "WorkaroundInstall = true"

Save, close; (reboot optional - apparently works without reboot).

Return to parent folder and run "setup.exe"

No Events found!