Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2013 22:00

Best Graphics Cards for SLI or Crossfire in Dell Precision T5400

I just purchased a Dell Precision T5400 and would like to know something since I have read on many different site that SLI and Crossfire is and is not supported on this system.  What I would like to know from Dell, NVIDIA, or ATI is; What are the different cards that work in the Dell Precision T5400 for both SLI and Crossfire?  Are there any systems changes that need to be done to get SLI or Crossfire to work?  That are not outside 3rd party mods and if there are no Native changes then, what are the Mods that work and are "safe"? (yes nothing is 100% certain)  I'm tired of getting mixed reviews from different sites I have looked at.  I currently have a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 that's not cutting it for what I need to do.  I do 3D graphic design now and need good high end cards that are compatible with my system.  Hopefully someone from the companies could answer this for me or someone that has the same computer and has gone through this process already.

Thanks MUCH in advance!

MTG

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 5th, 2013 05:00

SLI And Crossfire are specific and not interchangeable.  

The T5400 WORKS with crossfire AMD FirePro W5000 (100-505635) cards for 3D graphics, cad, maya.

(SLI AND CROSSFIRE ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE AND CANNOT BE MIXED)

www.dell.com/.../pd

Intel® 5400 Memory Controller Hub (MCH)

Slots

1 PCI-e x8 slot wired as x4

2 PCI-e x16 Gen2 graphics slot w/ Dual 150W; (300W total)

2 PCI-X 64bit/100MHz slots with support for 3.3v or universal cards

1 PCI 32bit/33Mhz slot

It would certainly appear that crossfire has issues with Crysis when looking at this:

www.legitreviews.com/.../11

Note that for their 1920x1200 (medium) and 1280x1024 (high) tests,

crossfire actually reduces the framerate.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2013 15:00

Yes I know that SLI and Crossfire is not interchangeable and that they are different.  What I guess I was unclear on is; What are the best card(s) to use in the T5400 as stand alone or as duel card system, running SLI or Crossfire.  What are the stats on their performance?  The links SpeedStep posted were ones that I all ready looked at in the past. New cards have come out so the ones that are posted on the Dell site might not be the only ones that work on the T5400 system anymore.  Why would Dell update the site for a computer they no longer support, that would be up to the people who have the machine to do and for the other owners out there to know.

Not wanting to hate on the first poster but, has anyone ever seen something similar to what I describing?

Thanks, MTG

P.S. I have worked in IT for over 11 years now so I understand almost anything you can post on here.  Please just remember to be detailed.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2017 16:00

quote from DELL's T5400 specs; "Outstanding Graphics Performance

The graphics offerings on the Dell Precision T5400 can handle the demands of 2D and Open GL 3D operations for engineering, architecture or design applications with ease. The Dell Precision T5400 offers a wide range of high-performance options, including dual Native PCIe Gen 2 x 16 slot support. Use the Dell Precision T5400 for CAD, GIS, and digital content creation, configured with up to 4 monitors for ultimate efficiency."

"dual Native PCIe Gen 2 x 16 slot support.", means Crossfire and SLi are supported. i have two Radeon HD 5770's in my T5500 running in Crossfire mode but you will need two 4-6 pin power adapters for most nVidia GeForce GTX cards if you SLi them as they have two 6 pin power connections and only 2 are provided with the T5400 and the T5500 so you will need to connect 2 adapters to four unused 4 pin power connections to power the 2nd card. make sure your T5400 also has at least the equivalent of the original 875 watt power supply as SLi'ing and Crossfire'ing can easily consume over 300 watts

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 22nd, 2017 18:00

Crossfire is supported SLI is not.

No Events found!