Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2013 18:00

Blinking Amber Light.

I have a DIMENSION 9200. A while back I cleaned the both fans inside the computer as best I could, including the inside the internal power source, I took it apart in order to clean it thoroughly. Now my computer won't turn on and the power button flashes amber.  I've tried un-plugging the power cord and holding the power button for 10-15 seconds, didn't work. I've tried making sure everything is plugged in, but the thing is I don't know exactly what is supposed to be plugged in. If you could give me pictures of how the inside of the internal power source should look that would be helpful, also any other idea would be very appreciated.

7 Posts

August 28th, 2013 20:00

Reseat the power supply cables? I un-plugged all the power supply cables, except one with 4 pins. At first the amber light blinked incredibly fast and then got slower and slower until it's back to the way it was.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

August 28th, 2013 20:00

Hi Osmos1sJoe,

In Dimension 9200 the flashing amber light indicates that the power supply is receiving power from the power source but it’s unable to properly distribute it to the components. Please reseat the power supply cables referring to the user manual in the link below.

http://bit.ly/142P4UC

Unfortunately I do not have the pictures with me, I have given a link for service manual which is mentioned above.

I hope you find this useful.

7 Posts

August 28th, 2013 21:00

Also, when I un-plugged everything, I didn't un-plug p2, how important is it that I un-plug that?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Osmos1sJoe

Try installing a 'Known' working power supply.

This system does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most standard ATX power supplies with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and this can be purchased from most local, or online computer stores.

The 9200 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be installed.

Note: You need a power supply, with six SATA power connectors

Or, you can buy a Dell OEM [Dell P/N KH624] 375w refurbished power supply from here:

http://www.discountelectronics.com/product?gclid=CJLK6ZDaobkCFTFo7Aod6icAaQ&product_id=2681&product_model=60

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Osmos1sJoe

P-5 is one of the six SATA power connectors, that are used the both the optical and hard drives.

P-7 is the power connector for a floppy drive, if installed.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-9200_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Note: All the power connectors are 'keyed', [shape and size] to make certain they fit into the correct power socket. 

Bev.

7 Posts

It turned on, or it made the noise of turning on, for a split second and the went back to blinking.

7 Posts

I'd prefer to try everything to fix without spending money first. Can you tell me where all the DC connectors go? such as p5 and p7, the manuals don't say where they plug in.

7 Posts

When I first plug the power cable in, there is an orange light on the mother board, but now it seems yellower, could just be me. Also now in the back where I'd plug in my ether net cable it's lighted up orange, which it wasn't doing at first. Does this mean anything?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 28th, 2013 22:00

Also, when I un-plugged everything, I didn't un-plug p2, how important is it that I un-plug that?

Osmos1sJoe

It's important to check that P-2 is properly connected and it's not 'charred', or burnt, because P-2 is the power connector to the processor.

Note: Remember to release the latch that holds the P-2 connector securely in place, before removing

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

When I first plug the power cable in, there is an orange light on the mother board, but now it seems yellower, could just be me. Also now in the back where I'd plug in my ether net cable it's lighted up orange, which it wasn't doing at first. Does this mean anything?

Osmos1sJoe

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'], indicates the motherboard has +5VFP power is reaching it and not an indication that the power supply has not failed, or has issues.

That is the network activity light, which flashes a yellow light when the computer is transmitting or receiving network data. A high volume of network traffic may make this light appear to be in a steady "on" state.

For more info, go to pages 3 and 4 of the manual.

Bev.

7 Posts

Breaking news, I actually have a XPS 410. The computer doesn't have wifi and isn't plugged into the ether net, so how could it have internet?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 28th, 2013 23:00

Breaking news, I actually have a XPS 410. The computer doesn't have wifi and isn't plugged into the ether net, so how could it have internet?

Osmos1sJoe

It makes no difference, because the XPS 410 is a rebadged version of the Dimension 9200, in other words, they are the same computers.

Regards to the Network/Ethernet connector, is not for Wifi, as I have already posted, a green light indicates a good connection to the network and a flashing yellow light indicates when it is transmitting or receiving network.

When the green light is off, then the computer is not detecting a physical connection to the network.

Please read the Service Manual pages 3 and 4 for more information about the above, use the link to the manual I have already posted.

Bev.

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 17:00

Seems like we got the same problem... One day, my desktop suddenly shut down and then blinks amber light... have the same yellow standby LED lighting up inside. I've tested the power supply pins using voltmeter and it turned out fine... 

Did you replace the power supply? did it work?

No Events found!