Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2015 11:00

Bloatware - Clean Install

I have a new Dell desktop (with Windows 10) arriving today. I'd like to ask about bloatware. I've read about Decrappifier, Revo, etc. I've also read about doing a clean install of Windows 10. Although it appears very simple to do a clean install, I'm a bit nervous about screwing something up. I'd like some suggestions about how to get my computer to a good optimal state. Secondly, I should create a recovery drive immediately after I clean up the computer, yes?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

1.2K Posts

August 11th, 2015 14:00

I like Revo uninstaller, and select the deep remove option that searches the registry as well as the file system.

Yes make backup disks.

If you are going to do a clean install and if you don't have an SSD, it is a perfect time to add an SSD because you'll have you can keep the original OEM hard disk intact.

I would also use one of the windows key extraction tools to get the Windows 10 key. Copy it, print it, take a photo of it on the screen but save a copy of this.

1 Rookie

• 

41 Posts

August 11th, 2015 23:00

Thanks Dan.

I found this on Dell Support: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN297920#PBR

It says that using "Reset This PC" and choosing "remove everything" "will install the basic Windows 10 operating system on your computer without any Dell factory-installed apps." This didn't happen. McAfee, Dropbox, etc. are all still there. The computer appears to be exactly the same.  A waste of my time. I will try Revo.

I'm not sure why you suggest a windows key extraction tool. I can simply go to the Activation page on my System to see the OEM Windows product ID key. I'm not sure I'll bother with another attempt at clean install, but if I do, I understand that I will need this key. I've written it down.

1.2K Posts

August 12th, 2015 01:00

I"m not an expert on windoze keys, but I'm pretty sure the product ID is not the license key should you need to re-install from scratch.

www.pcworld.com/.../how_to_find_your_windows_or_office_product_key.html

I've used belarc advisor and the magical jelly bean keyfinder, but I'm not sure about magical jelly bean finder as it might get flagged as a virus/malware.

for my dell win 8 systems I have extracted the keys and written it on the inside case with a sharpie so if the system dies I don't have to dig around to find it. 

1 Rookie

• 

41 Posts

August 13th, 2015 23:00

Thanks Dan. They are indeed different. The key is nowhere to be found on or in the tower. I used magical Jelly Bean Finder and got it.

No Events found!