Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2008 12:00

Bluetooth Mouse Pointing Problems

My Blutooth mouse pointing accuracy is way off.  Sometimes it is off by one full line, meaning I have to point to the line above the line I actually want to click on. The degree of inaccuracy varies.  Sometimes it is off by one full line and sometimes I have to place the mouse pointer just above the item to be clicked.   If I am typing a document and want to place the cursor in a certain spot, when I click the mouse, the cursor is placed a few spots over.   

I've downloaded the latest Bluetooth update and also the latest video card update. I have a HP optical mouse plugged in right now and it is working perfectly.  Any ideas?  I tried calling Dell yesterday but hung up after 15 minutes of waiting for somebody to come on the line and help me. 

System
XPS 420
Vista Ultimate
Bluetooth Mouse Keyboard
Radion XT 2600 (I believe this is the correct card...I am typing from a different computer)

Message Edited by clueless_2008 on 01-13-2008 10:08 AM

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 15th, 2008 11:00

clueless_2008,

Did you call the XPS Hardware Support team 1-800-232-8544 or the general number?

39 Posts

January 21st, 2008 16:00

I found I'm having this problem too.
In addition, my cursor wanders.
What seems to be happening is that the Dell "mousepad" seems to be problematic
witht the bluetooth mouse.  Texture, color, smoothness, etc, apparently are factors in mouse function.  A technical bulletin I read on this said that a white sheet of paper will save battery life, as compared to a dark background.  By placing a sheet of white printer paper over the Dell mousepad,
the pointing accuracy and wandering problems, both, are alleviated.  Hopefully too, I'll enjoy longer battery life!

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2008 14:00

Add me to the list of users with mouse accuracy problems.  Only I have to point the mouse under and to the right of where I want the mouse to be.  I've tried the white paper trick, but that doesn't seem to help at all.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2008 09:00

I found the problem and the fix!!

Problem:  My system includes the ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro video card.  Apparently the orig drivers for this card caused the accuracy issues:

Fix:  Download and install the newest set of drivers.

Installing the new video drivers cleared up the problem completely!!:smileyvery-happy:

160 Posts

February 9th, 2008 16:00

Wasn't just a problem with the bluetooth mouse.  It seemed to incorrectly index with any mouse.  I found (with the help of XPS support, which suggested an alternative mouse scheme) that unchecking "enable pointer shadow" under mouse pointers eliminated the problem with the old video drivers.  I installed new drivers today and things work even with the "enable pointer shadows" box checked (although, I'm not quite sure what pointer shadows are....lol).  By the way, I needed to modify ChrisM's video driver installation instructions to get it to work correctly.  First two tries weren't pretty.  And I didn't have to do it in safe mode; when Driver Sweeper removed the ati drivers, the system defaulted to system/pnp drivers.  Using "normal" mode also allowed the correct uninstallation of ati catalyst install manager.  A couple of reboots to make sure all ati stuff was gone, a run or two of CCleaner, another reboot and then the new ati catalyst control center loaded correctly. :smileyvery-happy:

XPS 420, Q6600, 4GB, ATI HD 2600XT, 2 HDD's in Non-raid configuration, eSata plug working fine with my experimentation and clues from these boards.......now if I can only cure the BSOD! :smileymad:

T

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 11th, 2008 16:00

zrtom,

So I should take out the safemode part in the instructions?

160 Posts

February 11th, 2008 22:00

No, I think you have it right.  In trying to pin down my BSOD issue, I ran the Dell Factory Image Restore utility so many times yesterday I lost count.  The first time through, the video driver installation worked without using safe mode.  However, I may have uninstalled the drivers first in Device Manager, or something like that (it reverts to generic and keeps on displaying).  That was when I posted about the mouse issue being video driver related.  Later tries, I needed to use safe mode.  I think your directions are as close to correct as possible.  On one of the go-rounds, I recall having to install the ATICatalyst Install Manager twice.  Each install seemed different.  I can do those video drivers now with my eyes closed (get it?).

What BSOD issue you ask?  Definately related to the integrated NIC.  Dell support and I agree on that one.  I bought a Netgear Gigabit NIC at Staples yesterday (no, not on Dell's suggestion) and it doesn't blue screen anymore.  On principle, my problem is only temporarily solved; I'm not going to put up with buying my own hardware for a brand new computer when they can't figure it out.  Plus, its using the only spare PCI slot I have left!

10 Posts

February 24th, 2008 14:00

Got it!

Please ignore my previous message!

10 Posts

February 24th, 2008 14:00

Hi,

I have exactly the same mouse pointer problem, solved by getting rid of the shadow.

However, in case I want to install the latest ATI HD 2600 in the future: where are the instructions of ChrisM thay you mention?

Thanks

Lourens

44 Posts

February 25th, 2008 09:00

I am using a USB mouse an have the same problem with the Aero theme mouse pointer. I just received my system a few days ago. I notice it has the 7.14 driver and there are no updates when I enter my service tag.

Also. the AMD site has a newer driver at:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista32/common-vista32

This is the 8.2 driver package.

Q: Can I install the latest driver from AMD or is there some special sauce that DELL adds to the driver package?

I REALLY want to fix this darn pointer problem!
Message Edited by RUQRU on 02-25-2008 06:23 AM

10 Posts

February 25th, 2008 11:00

The quickest way to solve the misalignment problem is to go to your mouse configuration and disable (uncheck) "enable pointer shadow" under mouse pointers. Works fine for me, I don't need a shadow under my pointer anyway.

Installing a new video driver seems overkill just for this one problem...

160 Posts

February 25th, 2008 11:00

I think the consensus around here is that Dell doesn't add any special sauce.  Indeed, the drivers through Dell are generally a generation or more older than directly from the manufacturer.  One example is that the Radeon drivers for my HD2600XT have been updated twice since I purchased it in early January.  I don't know which ones the Dell update site is using today, but they were far from the latest as of a couple weeks ago.

Check out ChrisM's FAQ's for XPS desktops under Nvidia and ATI driver installation instructions.  The use of DriverSweeper helps remove all remnants of the old drivers.  You probably don't have to install the .NET framework because you probably already have .NET framework 3.0.

You can uncheck Mouse Shadows for now, but you'll probably notice that mouse shadows really improve the "experience."

Tom

XPS 420, Q6600, 4GB, 500x2, Radeon HD2600XT, SP1, Bluetooth, eSATA port working!

44 Posts

February 25th, 2008 21:00

Thanks Tom. I went to the AMD site and downloaded the latest Radeon package for the HD2600XT. Installed and the mouse pointing offset problem is gone!

Oh yes, shadows ON!
Message Edited by RUQRU on 02-25-2008 06:19 PM

6 Posts

March 5th, 2008 18:00

Well i went to mouse settings in the control panel and clicked on Pointer Options tab, then you go to where it says Enhance pointer precision, everytime u restart the computer u have to do this to make it work, i dont know why but yes its something with the pointer precision settings with Vista probably.

10 Posts

March 6th, 2008 05:00

PS I simply used the Dell driver download page, works fine.

No Events found!