Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2013 18:00

Can I add extra memory to Dell Dimension 3000 or do I need to get a new hard drive

I think I need to add memory to my dell cause my hubby told me there was an error message but he failed to tell me what the message said.  This happened before because it was beeping.  Anyway, can you tell me if I can add extra memory.  Also will I be able to switch from XP to windows 7?  Any help you can give me will be so much appreciated.  I received help twice and you all have been just fantastic:emotion-1:.

thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 30th, 2013 19:00

I think I need to add memory to my dell cause my hubby told me there was an error message but he failed to tell me what the message said.  This happened before because it was beeping.  Anyway, can you tell me if I can add extra memory.  Also will I be able to switch from XP to windows 7?  Any help you can give me will be so much appreciated.  I received help twice and you all have been just fantastic:emotion-1:.

thanks

jax079

You did not post your present memory configuration.

Yes, you can add memory to the Dimension 3000, providing it does not exceed 2gb [2 x 1gb  DDR modules], that is the maximum memory supported by the Dimension 3000.

DDR memory modules in the 3000, should be installed in pairs of matched memory size. 

A good place to buy memory that's certified to work in the 3000 is www.crucial.com and use their Memory Advisor Tool, or the System Scanner.

Regards to Windows 7, best to use the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, here:

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 30th, 2013 22:00

Here is the memory stick info: 512MB DDR 400Mhz CL3.  Can I add 1 or 2 sticks of memory?:emotion-1:

This is cheaper (and shipping is free) and users are reporting Dimension 3000-compatibility. I am using G.SKILL in all the Dells in my collection.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 1st, 2013 15:00

You're welcome. If you want to upgrade to Windows 7, I suggest subscribing to Newegg's newsletter; the Home Premium version is on sale for $80 and free shipping once a week. You can download a 32-bit install ISO from Digital River and activate it with the OEM key.

Here is a $40 PCI video card that will work with the 3000 and features Windows 7 Aero-compatible graphics.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 30th, 2013 19:00

With a few upgrades, the 3000 is compatible with Windows 7 32-bit. If you have 1gb or more of memory, that is sufficient. You'll also want a DX9-compatible video card, like the Sparkle GT610, and of course you'll need a copy of Windows 7. Newegg regularly puts 7 on sale; even if it's a 64-bit version, you can download the 32-bit install ISO from Microsoft partner Digital River and use the 64-bit key to activate it.

Also, if you need a new storage device, you might consider an SSD; 128gb units are often on sale for well under $100 and they will supercharge performance.

19 Posts

November 30th, 2013 20:00

Here is the memory stick info: 512MB DDR 400Mhz CL3.  Can I add 1 or 2 sticks of memory?:emotion-1:

thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

I suggest bypassing the Upgrade Advisor. The 3000 is definitely compatible with Windows 7, but the onboard video does not have a native driver and even if it did, it wouldn't support the 'Aero' user interface.

1gb is sufficient for either 32- or 64-bit. (I installed 64-bit on a 1gb homebuilt so this is confirmed from personal experience.)

While you're at it, use a can of compressed air to clean out any accumulated dust from the inside of the chassis, and remove the front bezel and vacuum out any accumulated dust there, too.

19 Posts

Thank you

19 Posts

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 30th, 2013 21:00

jax079

You can replace the 521mb, with a 1gb DDR module in each slot, for a total of 2gb of memory.

Bev.

19 Posts

December 1st, 2013 14:00

Thank you.  I got 1 GB of memory at tiger direct this morning and the computer is working.  I will pick up another GB later.:emotion-1:

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 1st, 2013 20:00

The PCI video card plugs into a spare PCI slot on the motherboard. Afterwards, you install the driver provided on the bundled driver disk; I had no problems configuring the driver for a Sparkle 8400GS installed in a Dimension 2350 (older than the 3000).

Do you have a DVD burner? You'll need one to burn the ISO to a DVD, unless you want to install Windows from a bootable USB stick.

19 Posts

December 1st, 2013 20:00

I will definitely sign up for the newsletter.  Is it easy to install the PCI video card like a novice like myself.  Also as far as downloading a 32 bit install ISO from Digital River and activate it with OEM key, is also easy to do as well.  You have been so helpful and I am learning alot.:emotion-11:

No Events found!