Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 11th, 2011 05:00

Can I run a ATi Radeon HD 5670 on my Dell E521?

I have a 3 year old Dell E521 and I have not modified it any how . I am planning to put an ATi HD 5670 and taking into consideration I am still using a factory 305 watt PSU ; will it do the job without putting a load or decreasing the efficiency of my PC? Please help me out I read some where that if the CPU uses more than 80% power of the PSU the efficiency of the CPU drops.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2011 06:00

Anybody? Will it run?

3 Posts

April 11th, 2011 08:00

Others have used the HD 5670 on the 305 watt power supply so I don't see where you would have an issue.  The card is very power efficient for its performance.  It uses less than 20 watts at idle and maybe around 75 watts under load when gaming.  I don't see where your system would ever use much more than 200 watts total for everything.  Depending on the CPU you have, it is only going to use 65-90 watts as it could not possibly use 80% of your PSU wattage so it would be more like 20-30%.  

Oh ok but are you a 100% sure?:emotion-42: I ran a test through this site ( http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine ) and with the HD 5670 it comes up to 290 watts but I am not sure as i read in a lot of place its way off. So can you like give me a small explanation of the power consumption  because I think 30% with everything is a little too less.:emotion-42:

1.7K Posts

April 11th, 2011 08:00

Others have used the HD 5670 on the 305 watt power supply so I don't see where you would have an issue.  The card is very power efficient for its performance.  It uses less than 20 watts at idle and maybe around 75 watts under load when gaming.  I don't see where your system would ever use much more than 200 watts total for everything.  Depending on the CPU you have, it is only going to use 65-90 watts as it could not possibly use 80% of your PSU wattage so it would be more like 20-30%.  

1.7K Posts

April 11th, 2011 09:00

I am pretty sure you did not run that correctly.  What are your system specs?  When I run it (guessing your specs), I only get 182 watts.  It was 20-30% for your CPU, not everything.  If you use around 200 watts under load, then you're at 65% for everything.  I cannot make guarantees that something is going to work for sure due to other compatibility issues that may arise.  However, based on my experience and what others have used on these forums, power should not be an issue for you.  

April 11th, 2011 11:00

The 5670 uses only a maximum of 64 Watts, and does not require any extra power cabling.  It's not far from the lowest power card you can get. 

Did your system come with a video card or does it have an onboard display adapter?

If the former, check the model documentation for power draw.  If you're removing a board that uses just as much power, the swap is a no brainer.

If the latter, I don't know how much the onboard display circuitry would use when idle, but certainly it should use much less than when actually driving a display, especially if it is disabled in the BIOS setup.

I believe normally the 5670 draws much less than its published max...  I say this because I have a 5670 myself in my Precision T5400 WS (bigger power supply than yours).  It never gets very warm behind my computer (not compared to my past workstations, anyway), and the 5670's fan (which is nice and quiet on my VisionTek model) is virtually always spinning at less than 50%.

Of course, if you plan to stress your system with, for example, video games, you should assume all the parts are going to draw their maximum power.

-Noel

2 Intern

• 

270 Posts

April 11th, 2011 14:00

I am running a HD 5670 on my Inspiron 546 which is running the stock Dell 300w power supply with no problem ... you will enjoy the card ... i have an extra hard drive and a PCIe TV tuner on top of what normally comes in the system.

November 21st, 2011 06:00

Hi guys,

I would to ask for your suggestions/opinions.

I had a Dell Optiplex 755 SFF --- Core 2 Duo, 80GB HDD, 1GB ram, onboard display.

I am planning to upgrade the memory to 4GB - 8GB (utmost), the HDD to 500GB, and looking for a decent video card that will perform best for CS5, video editing and gaming. My question now is, does 5570/5670 Video card will just fit in well to my optiplex? or in what ways I can do upgrade the PSU that only has 275W, then PCIe x16 25W slot?

Please help me out with this one. I have been wandering around on forums finding some answers here so that when I get to the computer fair this weekend, I will be able to buy the right parts for my system.

Thanks alot... Hope to hear from you guys. :)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2011 07:00

The power supply in the 745 SFF is too small and the case requires Low profile cards.  

You cannot use a 75W video card in any of the SFF or SDT models.

No Events found!