Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2014 11:00

Can my Dell XPS 8100 support a new graphics card?

I currently have a dell xps 8100 and I was going to get a new power supply of at least 600 W and an Nvidia GTX 770. I was wondering if I would encounter any problems with size or with my motherboard?

1.5K Posts

February 20th, 2014 15:00

It's difficult to say if the card will have any compatibility problems since there has been many issues across the XPS line and Dell's last bios update was over 3 years ago for this system.  I'm not sure how comfortable I would be about spending over $400 for upgrades and have things not work.  Also, with the bigger power supply you get more cable clutter and combined with the larger video card, things will be hotter inside due to the small case and only one exhaust fan.  

My best guess is that everything should work if you want to go ahead with it.  I have found that heat plays a big factor and the lifespan can be reduced given these high-end upgrades in the small cases with limited air flow. This is why I gave up doing it even though today's card do run cooler than the older ones of the past.  I have had motherboards and power supplies die on me, but the video cards seem to keep on ticking.  

P.S.  If you were to call Dell and ask them, they would most definitely say no way.   

No Events found!