Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2008 06:00

Can't Install Vista Sp1 On XPS420

Hello,

Well i am trying to install sp1 on my system and it always fails at step3. Now i have done some research and heard about the SIGMATEL drivers. But i am not sure if it pertains to my system or not. My system came with the X-fi sound blaster card, so i assume i dont need it??

I don't see another reason why else it would fail unless its because i have turned off a few services to free up some ram. Has any one heard of sp1 failing to install because it needs specific services enabled?

Thank you in advance. 

60 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 07:00

I have a 420 and SP1 installed fine after I uninstall the Sigmatel drivers (no sound card)

As for services it depends which ones I suppose. Turn them back on temporarily

You could always backup your data and do a reinstall using the recovery partition 

Let us know how you go!

12 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 11:00

Make sure you are completely up to date with your updates in Windows Update (including optional ones). There are certain things that Vista needs to have installed before SP1 will install. I have a 420 with the Sound Blaster card and SP1 went on fine after doing all the updates.

14.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 11:00

Here is some stuff from the MS site..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

552 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 12:00

I have the Sigmatel sound card and Vista SP1 installed without problems. The only problem I had/have is  an issue with a certain update that fails and it has to do with a 32-bit OS with 4 gb memory. This is a known problem and not a critical update. There have been several work arounds for this error but I have been unable to get any of them to work. I just chose to add it to my hidden updats list for the time being until there is a MS fix.

241 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 22:00

I had a similar issue, the onboard sound was disabled but the driver was in the Drivers folder. Just find the offending driver from the MS KB article and remove it. Wait a few minutes run windows update and voila you have SP1 :)

You could download the 500MB re distributable patch which installs regardless of devices or drivers installed on the system. 

258 Posts

April 4th, 2008 00:00

I had no problem installing SP1 in my 420 with the X-fi sound blaster card.  Installed in about 45 minutes with one restart.  All updates were made before the install - and I hadn't eliminated any services.

29 Posts

April 4th, 2008 16:00

Thanks for all the help and advise guys. I have contacted Microsoft to see what they advise as well. I think my error comes from the services i have disabled in order to free up some more ram.  But will see.

No Events found!