Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2012 22:00

Can't Start Dell GX270 after 2 Days of Shut-Downs

Can't Start Dell GX270 after 2 Days of Shut-Downs

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 with Dell installed software, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 Build 2600 (not the 64 bit) with all the updates, and I installed a lot of updates the last few days. It also rained a lot the last few days. I have the computer plugged into a surge protector.

Two nights ago 11/17 I fell asleep with the computer on, (I don't remember if it was updating while I slept) and the next day when I tried to use the computer I realized that it had turned off. (And it is not set to turn off automatically.) The screen didn't turn off,just the hard drive.

When I turned on the hard drive, I saw the Dell logo, and at the top of the screen the choices were

F2 = Set Up
F12 = Boot Menu.

Then after a second or two that screen goes away and another screen comes on which is black except for a message in white which says:

Alert! Previous shutdown due to thermal event.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run Set Up utility.

When I hit F1 key, the following appears on the screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose
Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked:

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts....

I chose Last known Good Configuration, but when the Windows icon flashes on the screen, the hard drive shut down.
None of the other choices work at all.
I have done this at least 10 times.
A few times I have gotten Windows to start and I can log in, but after several minutes, whether 5 or 15, the hard drive shuts down, whether I am in a Word document or on the internet or in an email.
I did a system restore to before this past weekend (before the rain which also got rid of a lot of the recent updates) and that didn't stop the hard drive shutting down on me

Someone suggested that the CPU might be getting hot from dust build-up, so I opened the CPU which I had never done in 9 years.

It was full of dust and I cleaned it very well with canned air.
I unscrewed the fan and cleaned that as well.

I noted that there were approximately 9 cylindrical things that were black on the outside and silver on the top with hatchmarks on them to the rear of the fan (there were others in the CPU elsewhere) that had some crud on top. This crud looked like the crud that batteries get when you leave thenm in a device too long, but the crud on touching was softer and not metallic. I removed the crud gently and blew it away with the compressed air. None of these cylindrical things anywhere were bulging.

After all that work, I re-connected the CPU, and it is still the same thing.

Except now I cannot get it to start at all.

After I press the choice of "Return to last good configuration", I see the Windows logo for a nanosecond and then the CPU turns off.

This has happened 4 times now after my cleaning it thoroughly.

What should I do now? Please explain very simply, I don't know much about computers.

Thank you in advance.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 20th, 2012 03:00

Hi BarbieE,

I suggest that you connect power supply to the good known power outlet bypassing the surge protector and check of the system comes up.  Also check by swapping monitor power cable with the tower, vice versa.

You may try reseating the CD/DVD drive, memory, HDD, and also cables connecting the motherboard. Check if the lights come up on the motherboard. Find the link to below for the manual:

http://dell.to/d3x81a

I also recommend you to run a test on the hardware components of the system, if the system turns on with Dell logo.  Restart the system and at dell logo tap on the F12 key every two seconds. Select ‘Diagnostics’ using down or up arrow key and hit enter. This will run test on the hardware components. Please reply with the status of the test

193 Posts

November 20th, 2012 04:00

Sujatha, are you seriously kidding me?  The guys has corroding capacitors on a optiplex motherboard, and your are talking about getting pure power from the wall.  You most likely have a bad motherboard.

Let's do this the right way:

1) The computer is turning off when it is trying to boot.  Try removing everything from the motherboard, including internal and external periferals, incl. mouse and monitors.  I.E., you only have a board and power supply.

2) Turn it on, you should get the no post code that you have no memory.  

3)  Add memory and monitor, you should get "no boot device message" or similar.

4) Try adding the hard drive, and see if it boots or tries to boot w/out shutting down.  At this point run diagnostics, just in case it is a bad hard drive......

-- you have corroding capacitors, you are not going to hold power....

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2012 08:00

Bad caps on the motherboard could be repaired but given the age of the unit its cheaper to get a newer used optiplex like the GX620 or higher.

The GX260, 270, 280 are models that can have bad Capacitors on the motherboard.  If the motherboard is ok then the power supply is bad.  You must hack a hole in the case to get a standard ATX 12V version 2 power supply to fit.

You may also need to remove 4 pins from the 24 pin connector because the GX260 uses 20 pin power.

Only the TOWER Version can use Standard power supply.  If you do not have a tower then its time to get a new computer.

dell on the nichicon capacitor issue

No Events found!