Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2017 17:00

Can't reinstall audio driver

I recently had some audio problems and uninstalled my Conexant SmartHD audio driver. When I tried to reinstall it, I always get a failure to install. It won't show up in the device manager. I've tried a few times to download it from this site's support page but it won't install. Can anyone help? I have a Dell Inspiron 660 with Windows 10 64bit.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 06:00

Hi T-J101,

Thanks for posting.

Make sure the old driver is completely removed and remove any other programs that may try to use it like VLC, then try downloading the driver from here, use the download feature, not the add to list feature.  After it finishes, you will need to restart your computer and then you can add back in your audio program like VLC.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 08:00

Conexant SmartHD audio driver.
Version 1.0.50.0, A00
Release date 16 Oct 2013

Windows 8.1, 64-bit
Windows 10, 64-bit

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01708651M/1/Audio_Driver_9VFXH_WN_8.50.12.0_A00.EXE

Dell Update Package Instructions
Download
1. Click Download File to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save to save the file to your hard drive.

Installation
1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file.
2. Read over the release information presented in the dialog window.
3. Download and install any prerequisites identified in the dialog window before proceeding.
4. Click the Install button.
5. Follow the remaining prompts to perform the update.

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 09:00

I performed all of those task and after I restarted it, I still can't find my audio driver.

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 09:00

I've tried removing the driver by uninstalling it and I only had windows media that uses it. Even if I download the driver and install it, the driver still doesn't show up in the device manager. I only have Intel  Display Audio. Also it has Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus with a yellow caution next to it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 10:00

Windows media and DVD Playback and codecs are removed from windows 10.  So is directx June 2010 as well as chipset drivers that are required.  The Audio must be enabled in bios EXCEPT if you have an addon sound card.

Features removed in Windows 10.

Windows Media Center has been removed.

So if you have Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Home Premium on your computer and you install Windows 10, you will see them going missing.

DVD playback is also removed.

1. Press [windows key]+ then press

to open the control panel.
2. find/ open "Programs and Features" then press the "Turn windows features on or off"... it's on the left hand side.

You will want to turn DOTNET 3.5 and Directplay back on.

You will want to install CHIPSET DRIVERS

You will have to RE install Directx June 2010 by downloading the file and extracting to a folder and running DXSETUP.EXE

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Description Supported OS Download
Creative Labs Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Utility
This package provides the Creative Labs Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Utility and is supported on Alienware Aurora/Aurora ALX/Aurora R3, Inspiron 660, Studio XPS 9100, Vostro 460/470 and XPS 8300 that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista and Windows 7.More details
Windows 7 64-bit
Windows Vista 32-bit
Windows Vista 64-bit
Windows XP x64
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows XP

Description Supported OS Download
Intel Management Engine Interface Driver
This package provides the driver for the Intel Management Engine Interface and is supported on the Inspiron 660 and Vostro 270 Series running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.More details
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
WT64A
Intel Chipset Device Driver
This package provides the driver for the Intel Chipset Device and is supported on the Inspiron 660 and Vostro 270 Series running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 8.1More details
WT64A
WB64A

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 17:00

I tried your suggestions but the chipset drivers didn't install. I received an error message that "the setup program was unable to install one or more drivers".

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 23rd, 2017 12:00

Then you have multiple rootkit malware interfering with the windows installer service.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 23rd, 2017 12:00

Then the issue is rootkit malware that is interfering with the windows installer service.

6 Posts

June 24th, 2017 13:00

I ran a malware check and 1 item was found. After cleaning that up, I was still unable to install those chipset drivers. Oddly enough my Conexant audio driver shows up in my programs and features but not in the Device Manager.

No Events found!