Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2011 17:00

Cannot Boot OS, Windows XP, Dimension 8300

When I turn my Dell Dimension 8300 on I get this message "A disk read error has occurred", press CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing this I get the same message. I ran the IDE Drive Diagnostic from the Boot Device Menu and got this message:

Primary SATA

Drive 0: STS 3120026AS - Fail. Return Code 7

I then ran a read test on the disk and got this message:

Error Code 0f00:0244

Msg Block 103565: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

Is there a way to recover from this? Would reinstalling WIndows XP help? Also keys F8 and F11 do not work in trying to restore the system back to the factory settings. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

jem837

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 17:00

Hi Jem837,

Well, you've done all the diagnostics correctly and they indicate that your hard drive has failed. You'll need to replace it, then install the operating system onto the new drive.

Let me know if you need instructions and I can provide the links.

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 19:00

Thanks Osprey I appreciate it. That's what I was afraid of, failed disk drive.

6 Posts

October 5th, 2011 13:00

I installed a different hard drive and then  installed the XP Operating System and I'm back online. The old hard drive was obviously bad, I appreciate your reply, thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 6th, 2011 07:00

Good to hear.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2011 09:00

HI my system is doing the same thing every time i turn it on it says non system disk error or no disk. I have tryed rebooting it. but it says its doing it and then it goes back to non sytem error. It said system faliure to boot. What do I do?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 6th, 2011 09:00

Non system disk could be a diskette in the floppy drive.

Otherwise it means there is a CD/DVD or hard drive that is not bootable.

No Events found!