Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2013 11:00

Cant open tower to change hard drive.

Ok, I have bought a new hard drive and now need to install the thing but cant get into the tower.

The model is an XPS 8000 and its a UK bought model.

Around the back and base are loads of studs. I removed most of the screws but how the heck do I removed studs or do I need a magnifying glass because I am looking for some sort of hexagon shape?

Can somebody please explain how I open the tower because from where I am sitting it looks like fort knox.

A very filthy disgustingly dirty fort knox, no wonder it blooming well broke! Now I need to know how to get inside, not just to change the hard drive but to clean the thing.

Please please help. I can take photographs and upload them to my facebook account but other than that I dont know what else to do and I am very frustrated because it took a lot for me to even consider doing this massive task and falling at the first most basic hurdle is like a jinx. I need that jinx lifted. Help :o(

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 21st, 2013 13:00

Hi Ribbons,

Sorry about the situation, please refer the topic “Computer Cover” and “Drives” from this link to remove the computer cover and hard drive from Studio XPS 8000: http://bit.ly/1cPerN3

Hope this helps!

60 Posts

Thank you. I will try but thats the USA manuals which might be different and I am not sure what pdf to download? I will try.... service manual.... feeling very disheartened, its 55 pages!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

The Dell Service Manual, at the link below details how to remove the cover.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/studio-xps-8000

60 Posts

Thank you but I have a new crisis.

I have downloaded a massive file of 3.1gbs to my very old compaq laptop and it does have a DVD rewriter but now I am trying to save the download to a DVD disk it refuses to allow it and insists I must insert CDs which will take a year and a day and I am not sure I have that many CDs knocking around the place that are in pristine condition.

Back to your reply, the link you kindly provided, can I assume its a UK link because the other USA link showed me diagrams that related to the correct model but I do not believe the spec I have here is the same because its says remove 2 or 4 screws and the cover comes off..... not on mine it doesnt. I have some kind of circular bracket thing in the way for starters that stops me removing the cover in the manner the diagram shows.

I bought a £1000 Dell less than 4 years ago and all my other comps have lasted until they were so full they couldnt function and yet I havent quarter filled this baby and its sick in a terminal way. How the hell do I get those studs off please?

60 Posts

No, it doesnt because there is a bracket in the way that wont let me take the cover off.

If any of you are on facebook, I am going to take a photograph now and upload it to show you what I mean. It is not something I can explain. Its a metal loops jutting out about 2/3rds of a cm, or maybe a cm and the cover is hooked over it so I cant lift it up and cant move the metal loop.

Why did I think this was going to be the easy bit, and if you cant tell me the answer then pass the vodka because I think I might run out of vodka before I run out of problems!

60 Posts

October 21st, 2013 15:00

Ok, I reread the instructions and looked again at the diagram..... I was supposed to pull the cover across before lifting up... I think that the manual should really emphasise that this needs doing and that you should use a tea towel or bath towel and a lot of muscle power and grip because I can tell you it wasnt welded down with grime, it was just very hard to move at all.... the cover is off..... now, pass the scalpel and the plastic wotsit, I am going in and no, I dont know what the hard drive looks like huh.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 17:00

Hi Ribbons,

To locate the hard drive refer this images below:

Hope this helps!

No Events found!