Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2008 13:00

Continue getting CAB-200 message

I have a new Dell XPS 420 running under VISTA SP1 and has 4GB memory, 750 GB hard drive, Dell 19 in 1 Media Car Reader (included in Bluetooth package), 6X Blu-ray and 16X DVD+/-RW drives. All equipment was installed by Dell.

Each time I boot the computer, I get this message:  Your CAB-200 can perform faster if it is plugged into a hi-speed port.  The message continues to say that the hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support eh HI-SPEED USB device.  It then lists two Intel (R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controllers, one 293A and 293C.  Beneath each are listed USB Root HUB (6 ports).  There is a recommendation to disconnect the CAB-200 from its current port and then connect it to one of the ports on a hub shown in bold type.

I'm not sure what to do with this.  Does this mean that the Dell assembler did not connect the media card correctly?  I'm not inclined to open up the PC unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks for your comments.

26 Posts

August 21st, 2008 20:00

The USB port that it is referencing is internal and does not look like the USB ports that you might be used to seeing externally on systems. By default, the USB will be high speed 2.0 but for some reason it is not communicating with windows properly. An update for your chipset can be found at the 420 driver page.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 21st, 2008 20:00

SandyC,

Try loading this Firmware A01, Vista 32bit/64bit, R191223.exe. let me know if it helps.

Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 08-21-2008 05:04 PM

189 Posts

August 21st, 2008 23:00

I appreciate your response to my post. I tried the firmware download suggestion from Dell_Chris_M first and it seems to have worked.   I did look at your suggested page after downloading the firmware and it seemed you were leading me in that direction.  Thanks for the help.

189 Posts

August 21st, 2008 23:00

I successfully downloaded the firmware update, and it seems to have worked.  I haven't gotten the message for two restarts.  Thanks loads for the help.Emotions

189 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 09:00

Would you know that this morning the CAB-200 message returned?  Yesterday after downloading the firmware, installing it, and shutting down then restarting the PC, it worked fine.  This morning, after the PC was turned off all night, when I booted up this morning, the message is here again.

I'm having a problem with Microsoft WORD 2007, which a Microsoft technician helped me resolve several days ago.  The same thing happened then.  The fix did not stay.

Also, is there a way to uncheck the "solutions" icon which shows "accepted" at this point?

Thanks again for the help.

Sandy

189 Posts

August 27th, 2008 13:00

I thought this problem had been resolved when I first downloaded the firmware.  After restarting the computer that same day as the installation, the CAB-200 message did not reappear.  Later that day, I reported this issue had been solved.  However, the next morning I received CAB-200 message again. 

Today I downloaded the firmware again and saved it in folder on my computer.  I ran the upgrade and now I get this message:  "The memory card reader cannot be found or this firmware update is not for the system.  Please confirm the system once again."  The only thing I could do was end the update.

The media card on the PC is a Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader included in the Dell Bluetooth package.  What do I do next?

189 Posts

At present, I don't use it very often, only when I have photos to download from my digital camera.  My current camera card is a compact flash.  I was able to view a photo from it earlier today.   My concern is why I continue to get the message "Your CAB-200 can perform faster if it is plugged into a hi-speed port."

In addition to this issue is a problem with Microsoft WORD 2007 software that has been "fixed" by a Microsoft technician, but the fix does not hold.  Initially, I thought the firmware upgrade worked but did not stay fixed when I started getting the CAB-200 message again and when I started again getting the message from WORD that it had stopped working when I click on the X in the upper right-hand corner.  I have a similar problem with Power Point.

It seems to me that I have a problem with updates woking once they are installed and I don't know if the CAB-200 card issue is related. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Explain to me your daily media card reader usage. What cards, etc.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 27th, 2008 14:00

The Word and Powerpoint issues should be posted here to see if other users are seeing it.

* Power the PC off
* Power it on
* Before inserting the card into the media reader, place your free hand on the external, painted side of the chassis. This will eliminate the ESD (Electrostatic Discharge)
* Does the CF card work?
* Do you still get the message?

189 Posts

August 27th, 2008 15:00

I did post a message to the VISTA section on 8/22 but have not received any responses yet.

I'll try your recommendation, but don't understand how this relates to the CAB-200 message that I get when I boot the PC each morning.  The CF card is working; I'm not having a problem with that.

189 Posts

August 27th, 2008 16:00

I followed your instructions.  After powering off the computer, I let it sit for about 15 minutes before rebooting.  I eliminated the electronic static as instructed and inserted the compact flash card.  So far I have not received the message. 

I am curious, though, why this has worked since before today I had not insert a compact flash card.  And will tomorrow morning, when I reboot the PC after being off all night, will the CAB message reapear?

160 Posts

August 27th, 2008 17:00

I've had that message on and off for awhile.  When I first got it I remember it was after installing something.  Today I was installing my new 64-bit Ultimate on one of my 420s and, as I recall, IMMEDIATELY after installing something the message popped-up.  I mean, just as the install was finishing.  May be coincidence.  Now I'm trying to remember WHAT it was I was installing when it happened.  It happened, by the way, after I did the firmware update, not before.  I wish I had taken more notice.  It may have been just as Roxio Creator Premier was finishing (that might make sense because of the traywatch junk).  It was either that or a MS Update because that's about all I've installed so far.  It wasn't after installing the Intel chipset drivers.  You know, there WAS an MS Update for Luminate Lazer USB that I installed.  It could have been that.

Being that this is only a trial and I'll do it all over again into RAID0, I'll probably see it happen again and will post any news.

Tom
XPS 420, Q6600, 4GB, 500x2, Radeon HD2600XT, Bluetooth, eSATA, Ultimate SP1
XPS 420, Q6700, 4GB, 750GB x 2 (RAID 0), GeForce 8800 GT, Xcellerator, Bluetooth, eSATA, Ultimate SP1
XPS M1330, 2.2GHz, 4GB, 200GB (7200), SP1
XPS M1330, 2.0GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Vista Ultimate SP1 & XP Pro SP3

Message Edited by zrtom on 08-27-2008 01:24 PM

189 Posts

August 27th, 2008 23:00

Well, the fix worked for a while.  However, since I followed the steps to clear the CAB-200 message, I tried to install another program on my computer, but it hung, causing me to cancel.  In the process of trying to remove the installation, I had to restart the PC later in the afternoon.  When I restarted the PC, I got the CAB-200 message again.

I don't understand what is happening.

189 Posts

September 6th, 2008 21:00

I finally got this resolved by talking with a Dell technician via online chat.  I had to download four different files, one was an update to the Bios, and another was firmware. I don't know what the others were.  I have not gotten the CAB-200 message now for 5 days :>)

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

No Events found!