Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2009 14:00

Control panel connector J8H1 pin-out Dimension XPS T450

I am rebuilding a PC out of various parts including a Dell Dimension case.

It would help greatly if anyone knows the pin-out for the J8H1 connector (controls power on, power led, reset btn, HDD led, possibly other things).

I have looked quite diligently on the Dell website, and have found a few references to the connector but no pin-out spec.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2009 17:00

obuckley

See if the info, HERE can help.

Bev.

14.4K Posts

November 25th, 2009 14:00

Nor will you likely find any info. Dell keeps their connector pinouts a  State Secret.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 25th, 2009 15:00

Just beware the power supply - though it LOOKS like an ATX power connector, it's proprietary - and if you connect a Dimension T or R power supply to a standard board (or a Dell board to a standard power supply) it will fit - and promptly fry both the board and the power supply when you turn it on.

4 Posts

How very tiresome.

By messing with a multimeter I have traced which pins control the switches, and it won't be too hard to put a voltage across a few pins in succession and wait for the LEDs to light up. But I had hoped it might not be necessary to re-invent all of the wheel.

Regards

4 Posts

Thanks for that warning (which I would have missed), however, I am using my own PSU, not the Dell one, and I know that works with the mobo.

Regards

4 Posts

November 26th, 2009 04:00

All worked perfectly, Bev. Thanks.

I have finished the assembly and closed up the case. XP is running and just installing some software updates.

Power LED and HDD LED working fine and a touch on the power button started it all up.

So we can say that the same pin-out info from the machine in your thread applies equally to the Dimension XPS-T450 (and very likely to other machines as well).

Regards

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 26th, 2009 07:00

obuckley

Please to hear everything worked out.  :emotion-21:    :emotion-49:

You are right, the pinout details can be applied to several of the older Dell desktops.

Bev.

No Events found!