Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2000 19:00

Damaged Files in C:\windows\downloaded program files

Hi
Just discovered this site a few days ago and wish I had known about it in the past.

Running: xps m200s, 64 megs ram, 3.2 gig HD with win95(version 4.0 950b), I.E. 4 browser, Norton (AV and utilities)

Have been having problems on lots of web sites with some graphics and pictures either not displaying correctly or being erased/corrupted after scrolling them out and back into the screen. Refresh will usually correct the corruption, but not always.

When this problem first started (about a year ago), I could reboot and everything was fine for maybe a week or two. Things got progressively worse and now rebooting does no good.

Recently, I discovered that most of the files in "C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files" show a status of "Damaged" as follows:

Program File --------------------------Status

Direct Animation Java Classes------- Damaged
Internet Explorer Classes for Java---Damaged
Microsoft XML Parser for Java-------- Damaged
Shockwave ActiveX Control ---------- Installed
Win32 Classes-------------------------Damaged
Yahoo! Backgammon-----------------Damaged

I noticed a post here dated 3\2 from jimb59 re: Java Not Running, and followed Kays advice and visited the microsoft article Q168806(Troubleshooting Java Problems in I. E.)
They didnt mention anything about damaged files in the Downloaded Program Files folder in this article.

I did find another Microsoft article (Q243040 Bug: Damaged Status Display in Occache....) concerning damaged status of files in Downloaded Program Files, but the only resolution given is to reboot.

Can I just delete the "damaged" files, and if so, how do I get them replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry for the length of this post.

RangerDoug

67 Posts

If you delete them, you can go to Windows Update and install each again. That is what I would do...but there are more qualified people on this board than I. That is just my opinion.

Hi,
Yes, you can delete these corrupted files. These will be replaced when you visit the site which requires them so don't worry about deleting. They could indeed cause problems. After cleaning them out and trying your syatem for awhile if you are still having problems then post back with a detailed description of problem including the error messages that you are getting.
Steve

394 Posts

No Events found!