Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2016 08:00

Dell AIO Black Screen of Death FIx

THere are several threads about the Dell XPS AIO 2710 experiencing the black screen of death. Basically the system when turned on only has a brief flash then nothing.

I had mine sent back to dell and told Dell I felt it was the motherboard but Dell disagreed and thought it was the monitor. After some time Dell agreed it was the motherboard but the cost was much more than I was willing to spend on this system for a fix, Dell did provide a refund and sent the system back.

I found someone that actually fixes motherboards and he found that the thermal paste that was used for the heatsink on the graphics chip was all dried up which caused it to fail thus cooking the graphics processor. He was able to replace the chip and reconnect the heatsink and it works fine.  I have seen several posts where the OS is blamed but from my experience its hardware. My AIO was running WIN10 for over a year without major issues.  If you are having the black screen of death with this system you may want to find someone that fix the motherboard. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 19th, 2016 08:00

Good work. On any system four years old or older (XPS One 2710 came out in 2012), both the CPU thermal paste and the GPU thermal paste (if onboard) could be dry. Cleaning and applying new thermal paste is a good troubleshooting step.

No Events found!