Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2013 13:00

Dell Computer-Desktop with Windows XP

I have a Dell computer I bought from somebody and everything works on it but I cannot update Adobe. I think when I found the information in the computer that it said 2002. It is also a 512 RAM if that is any help. Internet Explorer runs slow on it and it freezes up a lot. I need a solution to update Adobe and do I need to upgrade the system by adding memory or installing a new system all together? If a model number is needed I will post it later.

3 Posts

October 8th, 2013 14:00

Very certain that it is an XP. I will let you know what model the computer is because I am not around it at the moment. I think the problem that it is running on Windows Server 2002. Is it possible to upgrade it?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 8th, 2013 14:00

which model is the PC?

Are you absolutely certain the PC is running Windows XP?

The latest version of Adobe Flash Player system requirements :

• 2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel® Atom™ 1.6GHz or faster processor for netbooks
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP (32 bit), Windows Server 2008 (32 bit), Windows Vista® (32 bit), Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit), Windows 8 (32 bit and 64 bit), or Windows Server 2012 (64 bit)
  • Internet Explorer 7.0 or later, Mozilla Firefox 17 or later, Google Chrome, or Opera 11
  • 512MB of RAM (1GB of RAM recommended for netbooks); 128MB of graphics memory

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 8th, 2013 15:00

Are you talking about Adobe Flash or Adobe Reader?

If you do mean Flash, you should download the Flash uninstaller tool and run the app. After removing Flash, reboot the PC and then download and install the latest version of Flash for the OS and browser you're using.

3 Posts

October 9th, 2013 17:00

Okay and will that help update Windows Media Player or is there no update for it in that old of a computer? Any tips to help speed up and help internet explorer stop freezing up?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 9th, 2013 18:00

BTW: 512MB of RAM is pretty low, even for XP, so it is going to run slowly. Increasing it to 1GB would certainly help, but is it worth putting any more money into such an old system?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 9th, 2013 18:00

Flash and Windows Media Player are totally separate. The latest version of Windows Media Player for XP is v11 and was released in 2010.

Have you cleared the IE cache and cookies? On toolbar click:

Tools>Internet Options>General tab>Browsing History/Delete button>Put check next to all except first item. Click OK back to the main browser screen, exit and restart IE.

Since you got this system used, it might be time to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install of everything. You will need to back up your files on external media first.

If the system has PC Restore on the hard drive, you can reinstall Windows in ~20 min, but  then you'll have to install the Microsoft Service Packs and all updates plus all other software you need.

If PC Restore isn't available, you'll need a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD to do a clean install of Windows. And then you'll have to install the right hardware drivers (in the right order) and then Microsoft Service Packs and updates, plus whatever other software you need.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 12th, 2013 13:00

XP is reaching tis end of life in less than 6 months and hence will be completely obsolete and vulnerable when it is no longer patched by Microsoft for more information see Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 End of Life in April 2014: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/endofsupport.aspx

A computer that weak (<1 GB of RAM) cannot be migrated to a modern Operating System such as Windows 8.1 or 7. It is possible that the RAM can be upgraded to allow installation of Windows 7/8.1 but too be honest the price of upgrades (for RAM that's quite old) may be quite costly and a Windows license can also be £50-100. Money would be better spent on a new machine. Provide your exact model of Dell so we can better advise.

The lower end Inspiron 660 can be bought for £299:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-660/pd

This will be vastly superior to your current tower.

No Events found!