Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2011 02:00

Dell Desktop-replacement for Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 graphics card

Good day. I'm hoping an expert can help me.

My computer: Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop, intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz, 8Mb etc
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 single 1GB memory. From reading, not sold by retail and now no longer available.
Power Unit: 350 watts maximum.

I do not use the computer to play games.

For various reasons, can you please DETAIL for me a replacement graphics card of about the same 'power' +. One that  I can slot in myself, load driver and be up and running. Not into changing other bits and pieces (I hope) and there appear to be soo many graphics cards available.

I would hope to purchase the graphics card over the Internet, UK supplier and thence abroad to me.

In anticipation, thank you for your help.

Leonard

5 Posts

October 25th, 2012 15:00

Nick, thanks so much for the fan advice.

It is too late, I decided to replace the card with a Nvidia Geforce 630:

www3.pny.com/GT-630-2048MB-PCIe-P3188C523.aspx

It was only about $70, is a better card, and completely silent. I may try

your fix on the card just to see if it works.

Thanks again.

Sam

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Desktop General Hardware Forum <

Dell_Community_noreply@dell.com> wrote:

>  *Re: Dell Desktop-replacement for Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 graphics card<en.community.dell.com/.../20214019.aspx

> *

> Replied to by knick_bee

>

> Hi Skanter- just seen this message- hope it comes in time

>

> I had this problem with mine- it was also reaching 90degC. It is caused by

> a really poorly designed cooling system- the heatsink fins are enclosed

> behind a metal sheild and the fan blows into it.

>

>

>

> What you need to do is:-

>

> 1) Shut down and disconnect everything from the PC

>

> 2) Open side panel and disconnect audio and power cables from GPU

>

> 3) Remove the card from mobo

>

> 4) Using a very small posidrive screwdriver, unscrew the thin metal cover

> from the heatsink

>

> 5) Use a fine brush to remove all that dust you will no doubt see! DO NOT

> BLOW IT OUT- EVEN WITH YOUR BREATH!!!

>

> 6) Reassemble and hopefully enjoy the silence!

>

>

>

> If you still get noise the chances are some dust has got into the fan

> (this happened to me when I used some compressed air to blow out the

> heatsink). Replacement fans are as rare as rocking horse poo- I couldn't

> even get one from the original manufacturer (way down the chain- dont

> expect any help from Dell or nVidia here I'm afraid) but luckily are easy

> to fix.

>

> GTS 240 fan fix:-

>

> I'm doing this from memory- sorry if I get anything a bit wrong!

>

> 1) Strip out card as above. Once heatsink cover is off fan will be exposed.

>

> 2) very gently, using a pair of small screwdrivers hooked under the fan

1 Message

November 18th, 2012 18:00

Hi skanter i have a Dell Studio 8100 with GeForce GTS 240 18 months old my fan got very very loud and my computer kept crashing

as the  graphics card got so hot, on Looking at the card i removed the six screw holding a thin metal plate over the fan to find the cooling fins

behind the plate were totally Blocked with dust ,  cleaned the dust out, it now runs silent and no crashing

5 Posts

November 18th, 2012 22:00

Mick, if you look at the thread above, you can see that I replaced the 240 with this card: http://www3.pny.com/GT-630-2048MB-PCIe-P3188C523.aspx Had I known it was fixable, I would have fixed it, I thought the fan needed to be replaced as it sounded like the bearings were gone. In any case, the new card has better performance and is totally slent, no more crashes.. After months of loud whining sound and crashes, I'm very happy for $79 cost. Thanks!

23 Posts

December 27th, 2012 19:00

Hi Leonard, I have the same question as Sam.  My GTS 240 is so loud.  Running at 78C. Driving me crazy.   I like your description of must be simple process.  Me too.  

Wendy

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2012 04:00

Hi gardengal4,

Rather than add to several other threads, it would be easier to keep track of your issue if you had started your own thread. But let me see if I can help. Can you tell me the model of your desktop?

23 Posts

December 28th, 2012 06:00

Osprey, I think you are right (should have started my own thread).  This forum feels confusing.  I reply to a thread but after it is posted it seems to be not quite the same thread that I saw during review (from Google searches).  

Anyhow, I have 3year old Dell XPS Studio 8000 -  i7-860   tri-channel 8gb ram 1TB hd GT 2.8ghz with the GTS240.  This was a preconfigured retail system with no changes. It has the stock 350W PSU so that limits video card replacement possibilities -- plus I have a 500W UPS so that limits the PSU replacements.   The noise has been going on for well over a year, but it is a bit more consistent and nerve-wracking lately.  
I recently opened the case and dusted all visible dust.  I am monitoring GPU and it is running around 78C.   Fan was at 99% initially.  Monitoring seemed to adjust fan speed down to 86%.  I don't think I modified anything, it just happened.  It is a little quieter.  I am not handy in the internals.   I read about getting a replacement vc fan, but that doesn't seem simple enough for me.    I have also read about removing a plate to the fan and getting at more dust, but that also isn't me. 
I don't do gaming.  Occasional streaming tv or movies - perhaps more in the future.  I want this system to last another 5 years if possible.  I hate upgrading.  I can see supplementing desktop usage with a tablet over time.
Any advice would be appreciated.
                        i7-860   tri-channel 8gb ram 1TB hd GT 2.8ghz

23 Posts

December 28th, 2012 14:00

I did post back but it is not showing up.... ???

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 29th, 2012 05:00

Are the temps running any lower, because I would say that 86°C is a little too warm for my taste. Taking the video card out is a little tricky but not impossible and will allow you to get in a bit closer to get the dust inside the video card cooling unit.

You might search Youtube for a video.

23 Posts

December 29th, 2012 05:00

86% was the fan SPEED.  The TEMP is 78C.

I'm probably leaning more towards a new card.  If I mess up with the fan cleaning somehow, I would be pretty much hosed until new video card arrived.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 30th, 2012 11:00

Ok, a better card should run cooler, so that's probably the best long term solution.

Good luck!

23 Posts

January 5th, 2013 11:00

I am in the process of installing the new card (out of my comfort zone but I am trying...)

The old card had 2 cables going into it - (1) a black and yellow set on a 6 pin connector (marked P8) and (2) a red and black on a 2 pin connector.  The new card has no slots for these connectors.  I think the Yellow and Black one is going to the power supply.  

Will this work?  Do I have the wrong card?   Would the excess unconnected wires just hang loose?   How does the card get its power if not from the power supply?  

I so much prefer software over hardware...  :-)

5 Posts

January 5th, 2013 12:00

Yes, new card I got got power thru port as well. Just let em hang loose!

23 Posts

January 5th, 2013 13:00

thanks I'm up and running.   I double checked to make sure fan actually spinning.  it is.  soooooo quiet too!!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 6th, 2013 05:00

Excellent. Glad to hear that worked out well for you.

23 Posts

January 6th, 2013 07:00

FYI Comparison of OEM-supplied GTS240 and EVGA GT630 replacement card yielded a slight downgrade in Microsoft PC Experience Index.  The GTS240 had a 6.9 rating; the GT630 had a 6.7 rating.  (scale is 0 to 7.9)   I'm sure it won't affect me at all, but it is interesting to note.  It would be nice if they showed the lower-level detail test ratings but they don't.  They run several specific tests per component.   And of course, who knows if these ratings are truly meaningful...!

Fwiw, I got the EVGA 1GB GT630 (fave retailer was out of stock of the 2gb model and I couldn't wait. system was deteriorating quickly).

No Events found!