7- Gold

Re: Dell Desktop-replacement for Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 graphics card

Jump to solution

Hi gardengal4,

Rather than add to several other threads, it would be easier to keep track of your issue if you had started your own thread. But let me see if I can help. Can you tell me the model of your desktop?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
gardengal4
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Osprey, I think you are right (should have started my own thread).  This forum feels confusing.  I reply to a thread but after it is posted it seems to be not quite the same thread that I saw during review (from Google searches).  

Anyhow, I have 3year old Dell XPS Studio 8000i7-860  tri-channel 8gb ram 1TB hd GT 2.8ghz with the GTS240.  This was a preconfigured retail system with no changes. It has the stock 350W PSU so that limits video card replacement possibilities -- plus I have a 500W UPS so that limits the PSU replacements.   The noise has been going on for well over a year, but it is a bit more consistent and nerve-wracking lately.  
I recently opened the case and dusted all visible dust.  I am monitoring GPU and it is running around 78C.   Fan was at 99% initially.  Monitoring seemed to adjust fan speed down to 86%.  I don't think I modified anything, it just happened.  It is a little quieter.  I am not handy in the internals.   I read about getting a replacement vc fan, but that doesn't seem simple enough for me.    I have also read about removing a plate to the fan and getting at more dust, but that also isn't me. 
I don't do gaming.  Occasional streaming tv or movies - perhaps more in the future.  I want this system to last another 5 years if possible.  I hate upgrading.  I can see supplementing desktop usage with a tablet over time.
Any advice would be appreciated.
                        i7-860  tri-channel 8gb ram 1TB hd GT 2.8ghz
0 Kudos
gardengal4
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I did post back but it is not showing up.... ???

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Are the temps running any lower, because I would say that 86°C is a little too warm for my taste. Taking the video card out is a little tricky but not impossible and will allow you to get in a bit closer to get the dust inside the video card cooling unit.

You might search Youtube for a video.

0 Kudos
gardengal4
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

86% was the fan SPEED.  The TEMP is 78C.

I'm probably leaning more towards a new card.  If I mess up with the fan cleaning somehow, I would be pretty much hosed until new video card arrived.  

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Ok, a better card should run cooler, so that's probably the best long term solution.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
gardengal4
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I am in the process of installing the new card (out of my comfort zone but I am trying...)

The old card had 2 cables going into it - (1) a black and yellow set on a 6 pin connector (marked P8) and (2) a red and black on a 2 pin connector.  The new card has no slots for these connectors.  I think the Yellow and Black one is going to the power supply.  

Will this work?  Do I have the wrong card?   Would the excess unconnected wires just hang loose?   How does the card get its power if not from the power supply?  

I so much prefer software over hardware...  🙂

0 Kudos
skanter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, new card I got got power thru port as well. Just let em hang loose!

0 Kudos
gardengal4
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

thanks I'm up and running.   I double checked to make sure fan actually spinning.  it is.  soooooo quiet too!!!

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Excellent. Glad to hear that worked out well for you.

0 Kudos