Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2009 20:00

Dell Dimension 2400 Drivers w/ Windows 7

Can you direct me to drivers that will work with Windows 7 and Dell Dimension 2400?

Thanks

43 Posts

January 6th, 2009 15:00

anyone?

6.4K Posts

January 6th, 2009 19:00

Since Windows 7 hasn't been officially released, it may be difficult to find drivers for anything, never mind a six year old computer.  Dell doesn't provide drivers for any of their machines for an operating system they don't support on that particular computer.  So, even when Windows 7 does come out, I doubt you will find Windows 7 drivers for the Dimension 2400 on the Dell site.

On the other hand, Windows 7 may have native drivers for many of the devices without the necessity of loading them separately.  The Dimension 2400 uses the Intel 845 GV chipset, a Broadcome 4401 NIC, and Analog Devices ADI 198x series sound.  You might find Windows 7 drivers for those devices on the vendors' sites.

1.6K Posts

January 6th, 2009 19:00

If you're asking about the beta release, contact Microsoft, but don't expect miracles - the 2400 is a low-end budget system that won't even run Vista well - let alone anything newer like the Windows 7 beta.

January 15th, 2009 10:00

I have this installed and running and it is performing beyond my expectations on the dimension 2400.  Now I have a PCI Geforce FX 5500 video card installed in it.

It installed and ran very well.   It did not find a driver for the on-board video chip set and I did not spend any time trying to find one so this would probably stop you without having a graphics card.  I picked the card up off ebay for $25 so I could try to run it as a Myth TV front end.  It actually seems to run the Windows 7 better than OpenSuse 10.3 as far as user interface performance goes.  Of course this is a fresh Windows 7 install and the OpenSuse and XP Home installs are a couple of years old.

It has 768 bytes.

The default install of windows 7 build 7000 ran fine and installed a generic VGA driver but only gave a performance rating of 1.0 on the Video sections.  I went to the NVida Site and downloaded the old (2006) Beta version vista drivers and they improved the scores.

Here is the current system info from my window 7 on the dell dimension 2400

More details about my computer 

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz 2.8     OVERALL SCORE:  2.7
  Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 768 MB                                                         SCORE: 3.9
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500                                      SCORE:  2.9
Gaming graphics 379 MB Total available graphics memory SCORE:  2.7
Primary hard disk 32GB Free (39GB Total)                          SCORE: 4.3
Windows 7 Ultimate

System  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
  Model Dimension 2400 
  Total amount of system memory 768 MB RAM
  System type 32-bit operating system
  Number of processor cores 1
  64-bit capable No

Storage  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 39 GB
  Disk partition (C:) 32 GB Free (39 GB Total)
  Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics  

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
  Total available graphics memory 379 MB
        Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
        Dedicated system memory 0 MB
        Shared system memory 123 MB
  Display adapter driver version 9.6.8.5
  Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
  DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network  

Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Some comments:

Now I tried to run the Media Center on it and play some videos running off one of my media center computers  and they were very slow to load and choppy when played with the media center menu up.

Flash runs fine.

Sound runs fine.

USB is fine.

Camera hooks up and downloads pictures fine.

I am amazed at how well the basics work on this system right out of the box.   I have installed windows7 on a total of 8 PC's now with these being the oldest/least powerful and I have been amazed at how well it has done at picking up older computers and chipsets.

No Events found!