Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2010 16:00

Dell Dimension 5100 Random Reboots. Why?

I have a Dimension 5100 which I have had from new.  For several months it has been rebooting itself seemingly at random.  Until 2 weeks ago it was happening every day or two.  I had done a full virus scan, and a RAM scan for 5 or 6 hours using a Microsoft utility and nothing has shown up.  Thinking it may be the PSU I rmoved the graphics card (which has been in for at least 3 years) and a modem card which was no longer needed.  Now the machince has only rebooted twice in 2 weeks which makes me think it still could be the PSU and I am thinking about buying a new one - but don't want to do this unnecessarily.

What are the most likely causes of this rebooting?

20 Posts

January 30th, 2010 16:00

Any ideas?  :emotion-1:

9 Posts

January 30th, 2010 16:00

Maybe dumb questions.  Is you computer plugged into a battery backup?  If so, is your Monitor plugged into a battery backup?  Final question, do you have a printer plugged into your battery backup?  If you have a printer plugged into a battery backup it just too much of a power drain and may cause the computer to shut down.

20 Posts

January 31st, 2010 02:00

I have no battery backups.

I was hoping that the fact that removing the graphics card and modem card may given someone with more knowldege than me (not hard!) more of an idea what it is more likely to be.  I was hoping it may rule out it being a motherboard fault as that will be an expensive job and probably not worth doing on a machine of this age.  I don't mind replacing the PSU or RAM as I could get some performance improvement doing that and a PSU could likely be moved onto any future machine.  The PSU can sometimes be noisey anyway.

9 Posts

January 31st, 2010 04:00

A battery backup was just grasping at straws.  With a maching that age maybe it would be better to replace.  Good Luck!

20 Posts

February 14th, 2010 09:00

Just in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future and comes across this thread...

I almost bought a new PSU but when I examined it I noticed a fair amount of dust in it.  I removed it from the PC and removed some of the outer casing screws - enough so I could get my vacuum cleaner mini hose in.  I gave it a good clean out and also got my hairdryer on it on cool heat to blow out any other dust.  I did the same on the fan in the PC as best I could without removing anything.  Popped the PSU back in and the machine has been fine to date.

No Events found!