Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2009 09:00

Dell Dimension 5150 rebooting at random intervals

Hey all,

I know that the topic of Dell Dimension 5150's has been beaten to death, but I wanted to pipe up and ask a question.

My 5150 is powering on, but it reboots when it wants to. Let me give you an example. I am able, after letting it sit for awhile, to power on and get to the XP desktop, but it after anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to even longer, it will restart. It doesn't just turn off and turn back on, the XP logoff screen actually displays stating that the computer is now logging off.

After it reboots, it may get as far as the welcome screen before the XP logoff screen appears, and then when it restarts it only gets to the XP boot screen before it restarts, and so on...the interval decreases until it just won't turn on at all.

After seeing all this happen, I just wanted to make sure this may be a power supply issue, even though it is actually stating that it is logging off, rather than just restarting instantly.

Thanks for the help!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 14th, 2009 12:00

Since it's "logging off" from the XP screen suggests it may be some type of malware or virus.  First thing to do is run a complete malware scan with an up to date data file - if you don't have a spwyare program or a current version program download the free "MBAM"  Click Me and run that.  Also same thing with your antiviru program. 

Along with a power supply, the motherboard and even the CPU are hardware suspect.  The CPU has an internal thermal sensor and will power of the PC if it reaches the thermal trip point.  The 5150 and the Identical Dimension E510 (I have an E510) do not have CPU temperature monitoring capabilites. If it was the CPU I would suspect either there is dust clogging the air circulation and possibly in the heatsink assembly, the fan (but you would get an error notice if it was the fan) or possibly the thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink is compromised and needs cleaned off and replaced.  The more I think about it, the more the CPU thermal seems to be a good starting point, with the symptom you have.

Get some CPU heatink compound and then open the Heatsink assembly "shrowd" (carefully) and clean off the old thermal compound on the top of the CPU and on the bottom of the heat sink.  Apply the new thermal compound to the top of the CPU (according to the compound's directions) and then move the heatsink assembly back in place mating with the top of the CPU.  Tighten the screws.  The Instrutions are in the Dell Manual   HERE

December 15th, 2009 11:00

Thanks for the pointers fireberd - I was in the middle of running antispyware scans with both Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Superantispyware when I first posted. And yes, I too believe it could  be malware or a possible virus. I just wanted to see what other possibilities there would be, and your list of possible hardware culprits is much appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 15th, 2009 16:00

And while you're in there, reseat the RAM modules and PCI cards in their slots and blow out all the dust bunnies.

What happens if you boot and let it run in Safe Mode (press F8 before Windows starts to load) for a while? If it doesn't log off and reboot by itself, that would suggest a software issue. And on top of my list would be the video card driver.

Ron

December 21st, 2009 05:00

Well, it turns out that the power supply is bad. Could someone direct me to a power supply that will work for this machine? I know that it is a 305w power supply and that it uses two SATA connectors, just need some assistance in tracking something down. Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 21st, 2009 10:00

Update: read the post by shesagordie here.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 21st, 2009 10:00

I don't know if the 5150 uses a standard ATX power supply or not.  

There's a new Dell Power Supply 305W DP/N: 0X8130 X8130 Model: H305P-00 listed here for the Dell Dimension 5100 for $19. I don't know if that's the same one used in the 5150, so check the part number on your power supply to see if it matches.

You can also call Dell Spare Parts and give them your Service Tag number. They'll tell you Dell's price for the right power supply, but they will likely charge more than if you buy one elsewhere. :emotion-5:

Ron

No Events found!