Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

August 30th, 2005 01:00

Dell Dimension 8200 BIOS - Do I need to Upgrade?

I currently have a Dell Dimension 8200 with an A03 BIOS version. Is it necessary to upgrade my BIOS? If so - what benefits will I have and what version should I upgrade to? If I upgrade to say A08 or A09 - can I upgrade from A03 to that version? Or do I need to go through upgrading through all the versions to get to the latest version?

Thanks,

GMAN

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

August 30th, 2005 05:00

there is an A09 bios that is available for the dimension 8200, the fixes

1. Fixed resource allocation to some PCI devices when multiple adapters
with bridges are in the system.

2. Properly set system power state when AC Power is lost in S3.

3. Added additional system board information into SMBIOS type 2 structure.

4. Fixed possible hang when exiting Diagnostic programs that access KB
ports directly and USB Emulation is On.

5. Fixed possible issue with the Date and Time being changed after
consecutive reboots.

6. Added new SMBIOS token definitions for UDMA, Hard Disk Acoustic, S1/S3.

and a couple of patches that fix this-

Application Dell Patches And Fixes (Desktop), A00
Release Date:  01/15/2002
Description:  This patch file will resolve a Bass Cancellation issue when the Dell/Altec-Lansing ADA885 speakers are connected to the Creative Labs Audigy® sound card.

BIOS Dell Patches And Fixes (Desktop), v. A03, PI3
Release Date:  03/14/2002
Description:  This is a special BIOS update equivalent to the A03 BIOS that shipped on
the Dimension 8200. This BIOS is intended ONLY for Dimension 8200 systems
having a Creative Labs "Audigy" or "Audigy2" sound card installed.

get the updated bios here for your 8200

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8200&os=WW1&osl=EN#

Message Edited by ronss on 08-30-2005 01:29 AM

9.4K Posts

August 30th, 2005 12:00

Gman55,  a BIOS upgrade seldom offers any performance benefit.  What a BIOS upgrade can do is fix problems you are currently having with your present BIOS version or offer BIOS support for new hardware.  If your current BIOS is working good and you have no hardware upgrade plans then updating the BIOS really isn't necessary.  The only exception would be if the system is still under warranty.  Since a BIOS upgrade has a slight element of risk then it is wise to keep the BIOS versions current while the warranty is in place.  If the system is out of warranty then the BIOS shouldn't be upgraded needlessly.  If you need to upgrade the BIOS then you can go right to version A09 since Dell BIOS upgrades are cumulative.  In other words the latest version will contain all the fixes and improvements found in the earlier versions.

9 Posts

August 30th, 2005 14:00

ronss

Thanks for the help!

GMAN55

9 Posts

August 30th, 2005 14:00

Majestic

Thanks for the help!

GMAN55

2 Posts

October 11th, 2005 04:00

Well my question is, I have not had any problems with my Dimension 8200, but if I upgrade my BIOS to the latest one, will it effect my computer programs, files, etc? Will anything be deleted, etc? Is it 100% safe?

9.4K Posts

October 11th, 2005 10:00

Ttsupra26, no BIOS upgrade is a 100% safe and it shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty.  Although a good or bad BIOS flash won't destroy programs or files, a bad BIOS flash can in a worse case scenario trash your motherboard. 

2 Posts

October 11th, 2005 18:00

thank you for your help!
No Events found!