Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2012 08:00

Dell Dimension 8400 CPU upgrade - Success

Really a special thanks message for shesagordie aka Bev.

Bev,

The 8400 cpu upgrade from a 540 to a 670 64 bit went very well, should get some more life out of this system and special thanks to you for your help. I am now more aware of fan speed increasing when the cpu is getting max'd out - I assume that is normal? Do you know of a good cpu temp prog that caters for the 670 to check what it is?

Next task to load a 64 bit OS and perhaps get some work done....

Thanks again.

Ron.

10 Posts

March 20th, 2012 09:00

Bit more info - After a few hours at the PC the constant raising and lowering of fan speed as the cpu is loaded is starting to become an issue. It's not screaming as I have read in other posts but its definately headache inducing.....

Removed CPU and heatsink, cleaned both well and re-applied thermal paste, re-assembled but unfortunately it's still the same. BIOS at A09 - not sure what else I could check. Any ideas?

Ron.

10 Posts

March 20th, 2012 11:00

Bev,

Yep, it all got a very good hoovering but was not dirty as it had been done a couple of weeks ago.

Ron.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 20th, 2012 11:00

munro284

While the case was open did you check to see that the heatsink's cooling fins/fan are clean of any dust buildup, diito the inside of the case, especially the air intakes located in the front panel?

Bev.

371 Posts

March 20th, 2012 12:00

FWIW I did the same upgrade to the same computer with the same result.

In my case the computer is situated in our living room where there is usually TV or radio on and the back of the PC points directly over a staircase leading outside so it's not much of an issue. It is quit noticeable when everything else is turned off.

My point for posting being that I don't think anything is "wrong" it just takes more air to cool the faster CPU.

Did mine a year ago come April. Still plugging right along :-)

HTH

Doug

22 Posts

March 20th, 2012 13:00

Any CPU upgrade will always render that issue. When I upgraded my CPU from a Pentium 4 521J to a Pendium D 960. My fan was going CRAZY, and that is because the 960 used more TDP (Heat/Energy). I had to upgrade my heatsink and fan, not sure if that is also an option for you though. But yes, the high velocity of the fan coming and going is in fact normal. That is just your computer actually working and cooling down your CPU in high usage times.

10 Posts

March 21st, 2012 02:00

Thanks for the replies and your thoughts guys. I am not sure if back in the heydays of the Dimension 8400 that they had a different fan or heatsink when a 670 cpu was used. Someone may care to comment on that. Of course, that is assuming  that the Dimension 8400 ever went as high as the 670 running at 3.8GHZ.

I may put the 540 cpu back in today to check and make sure the fan noise disappears, if it does I will have another go at putting the 670 back in for testing but I don't think I could work with the 670 under the present noise levels.

Ah well - life is never easy and straightforward..... I may need to think of another option to get 64 bit operability.

Ron.

No Events found!