Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2012 12:00

Dell Dimension E521 Startup Bluescreen

I have a Dell Dimension E521 that when I start it up it gives me a bluescreen and an error number,  How do I fix this.  Was it a driver I installed?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 14th, 2012 12:00

What is the Error number?  Does it bluescreen as soon as it starts Windows? or after it starts?  Can you start in Safe Mode (Press F8 BEFORE Windows starts to load).

January 14th, 2012 18:00

I can get into safe mode by pressing F8 but when doing a regular boot it shows the xp boot logo and then the error screen with the following screen details:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space.  If a driver is identified in the stop message,  disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.  Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components,  restart your computer,  press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP:  0x0000007E (0xC0000005, oxF6BD0756, 0xF78A242C, 0xF78A2128)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 15th, 2012 03:00

This error "007E" can be hardware or software (Windows registry) related.   If you do a google search for the 0x000007E

you will find this is a common error.  

First suggestion is to run the Dell hardware diagnostics by pressing F12 at power on and then access the diagnosics.  If nothing shows up there, consider running a Windows XP "Repair" which is similar to reinstalling XP from the CD except you select "Repair".

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 15th, 2012 11:00

I have a Dell Dimension E521 that when I start it up it gives me a bluescreen and an error number,  How do I fix this.  Was it a driver I installed?

Two possible causes are a bad driver or a failing power supply: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21621-2.html

This issue has been discussed plenty of times.. to sumerise what most people find their troubles point at:
-weak psu not giving enough power for the system to run efficeintly enough
-drivers not updated
-directx not updated
-game patches?
-too many other programs hogging the system resources..
-temperatures (sometimes)
-havn't performed a system maintanance for a while (dusting insides, chkdisk /f, defrag etc)
Power supplies can fail after a period of years (bad capacitors?) and the resulting symptoms will be random crashes, bluescreens, and slow performance. On the other hand, if you've installed something recently, perhaps that is the cause.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 15th, 2012 14:00

My relative's 5150 (E510) would run, but it was unreliable and slow. After I replaced the power supply, all was well.

January 15th, 2012 14:00

The power works and my harddrive works so i think it is a bad driver.

No Events found!