Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2015 07:00

Dell Dimension E521 freezing and locking up

I have a dell dimension e521 that always freezes randomly when I watch a video. The audio stutters, the keyboard turns off and the mouse doesn't work. I also notice the computer freezing sometimes when I wake up the computer after it goes to sleep. I shake the mouse and click and I hear a beep sound right before the computer completely freezes.

780 Posts

July 1st, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Does the PC work fine on everything else other than videos?

Please run a hardware diagnostics to confirm there is no hardware failures.

To enter diagnostics, Keep tapping F12 on the startup Dell logo that comes as soon you press the power button.

Select "Diagnostics" from the list, Run it completely and let us know if it passes, Else please reply with the Error message and validation code, we shall take it further.

Thank you

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 23:00

Oh i think it was suppose to say SATA 2nd Master, 3rd master etc. I just didn't wrote it all down on paper to save time.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 23:00

The diagnostic had this message listed:

SATA lst Master: Samsung HD160JJ/P - pass

Sony CD-RW/ DVD rom- diagnostic not supported

Phillips DVD Rom DRO- diagnositc not supported

NO IDE Device

The PC works fine only videos would cause it to freeze, especially full screen videos. All videos make the CPU usage spike and the fan gets pretty loud as well.

780 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 04:00

Hi,

When did the you start noticing the issue? Was there any hardware or software change prior to this?

Also check if there is any latest driver for your video card .

Thank you

4 Posts

July 4th, 2015 23:00

I've been having this issue for about two years. I notice problems when my computer started to really slow down. The CPU usage was very high so I cleared out unnecessary programs, added more RAM to my computer, and brushed off excess dust on the fan. Afterwards my computer was running fine but then it started freezing when I played videos. I updated all my drivers that are available.

My graphics card is a NVIDIA Geforce 6150 LE.

780 Posts

July 7th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Please check in safemode if the issue persists.

It can be either the OS or the graphics card that is failing.

Thank you

No Events found!