Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2009 14:00

Dell Dimension XP Gen 2 Motherboard reset anyone?

Hello,  I'm wondering if anyone out there knows how to reset your motherboard?  My hardrive doesn't get recognized anymore after I re-installed WinXP but failed to install the motherboard drivers correctly (apparently).  After I tried to install the chipset drivers from the ResourceCD, the computer wouldn't recognize the drive anymore!  So, I got on the Dell Support Chat line, and after just a few checks of the BIOS, the guy told me that the Motherboard and hardrive would have to be replaced.  So, not wanting to give up so quickly, I took out the hardrive and installed it in another computer...the Hardrive worked just fine (just like I thought it would).  So, next step is to see if I can somehow clear the cmos or bios or whatever on the motherboard (usually shorting a couple pins I think) to see if I can start over again.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Keith

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 29th, 2009 14:00

dart451

Go HERE for the directions for clearing the NVRAM/CMOS, of a XPS G2.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 29th, 2009 15:00

If you didn't install the chipset as the first driver after XP, other drivers may not install correctly. In that case, download the chipset to your desktop, reboot in Safe Mode and install the chipset. Then reboot normally and install any other drivers that still need to be installed.

Typical installation order is:

XP

Chipset driver

Video driver

Audio driver

Network driver

Modem driver

Other needed drivers.

Ron

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

April 29th, 2009 18:00

Thanks you for the help!  I can't access the hardrive at all so I'll have to try to clear the CMOS first.  Wish me luck! 

I think I found a flaw in the directions!  It says clear cmos chip, remover jumper off 1&2, replace on 2&3, wait 5 seconds...replace on 1 & 2.  Then it says take out the system battery, wait 15 minutes, then replace battery.  It then says remove jumper from 2 & 3...(It was put back on 1 & 2 right?) and finally says to replace jumper on 2 & 3.  Wouldn't you place the jumper back on 1 & 2 like it was when we started?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 29th, 2009 19:00

dart451

Have you read this:  "Remove the computer cover then follow one of the following steps as it may apply to your system"

You only use one of the three sets of Dell's instructions for clearing the CMOS.      :emotion-55:

Bev.

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

April 29th, 2009 19:00

I did...I picked the one that had XPS 1, 2. to reset the default CMOS.  I'm talking about the initial instructions that have you change the CMOS jumper and remove the battery...this is the same for all computer...they only seem to have instructions on how to reset BIOS in sections.  Tell me if I'm not seeing something!?

Well, I tried it a couple ways...doesn't seem to matter though...the drive still can't be seen!  Funny, it works on my other computer and i was also able to go into command prompt and get into the directory of C:....Go figure!  Just when you think you know what you're doing....you don't!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 30th, 2009 12:00

What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on rear of the tower when you reboot? If not all green, look up the error code here.

Why did you reinstall XP in the first place?

Can you still boot from your XP CD?

Ron

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

April 30th, 2009 16:00

All the LED"s are green.  When it tries to boot to WinXP, it gives me a blue screen...it tells me the hardrive might be corrupt.  Come to think of it, when I installed the drive in my other computer, it saw the drive...perhaps there's something with the boot sector of the drive?

I Re-installed WinXP because I was going to give the computer to a friend that needed one...what a wonderful surprise that after I gave the computer to these people, it decided to mess up!  I can boot the XP CD but when it wants to start installing windows, it tells me it doesn't see any hardrives on the system!  Boy, I wish I had another SATA drive laying around to try!  Don't really want to take my boot drive out of my new computer...with my luck, it'll mess up too!  You know...what do you think of re-installing the Dell hardrive in my new computer and reformatting it there?  The only problem might be that my new computer has Vista32...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 1st, 2009 10:00

It's possible the drive died, but you might want to open the PC (power off and unplug first!) and reseat the cable connectors on both the hard drive and motherboard SATA0 connector. And check in BIOS setup to make sure the SATA0 hasn't gotten accidently disabled.

Then boot from XP CD and launch the Recovery Console. At the C:\ prompt

Type in: chkdsk C: \p \r

Press Enter

Take a long nap!

When it's done, remove the CD and see if you can boot from the hard drive.

Ron

No Events found!