Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2016 07:00

Dell Hybrid 140g-Uses and Options

I am trying to find some uses for an old Dell Hybrid 140g. A friends son needs a computer and he thought this might work well. I also thought it might be a good computer for surfer the web from a TV or as a movie or music server.

The current old system is running Vista 64bit with SP1; however, their is something wrong with the user accounts as I can not login as an administrator even though it allows for Guest and says its as administrator. I thought about reinstall a OS but not sure if I should use Vista, Ubuntu, Windows 7-10, or a server system. I also am having difficulty updating through the dell support as I think its related to the guest user.

Not sure if I can create a system copy from the existing hdd and I don't know if I want to given the current errors. i would like to get it updated and make the system function someway and woulld appreciate some assistance.

Is ubuntu a good option for this computer for basic surfing and such? Is it a good media server option? Can I run ubuntu on this system? Is there a way to get a low cost OS win 7-10 still to migrate from vista? Should I even use vista anymore?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 26th, 2016 09:00

This is a very old system   Core 2 Duo T5850 (2.16 GHz)

3 GB DDR2 250 GB HDD,  Windows Vista Home Basic

Intel GMA X3100 , Its not suitable for most things now including video.

http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/studio-hybrid/pd

Windows home version 7 or 8 or 10 is $119

Windows Pro version 7 or 8 or 10 is $199

For the cost of windows alone you can get a more upgradeable serviceable faster system.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-755-Desktop-Bundle/dp/B00UQTP0KK/

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

October 26th, 2016 12:00

The computer can use Windows 7 if you want to download the drivers from Dell which you can do here.  Ubuntu may be a good choice as its is generally thought of as light weight.  Is it compatible?, that i'm not sure but the system is old enough it should be by now.  The only thing I would recommend is trying some stuff around and seeing what works best.  

No Events found!