Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2015 12:00

Dell Inspiron 518, question about support for graphics cards.

I want to know if my motherboard will support specific graphics cards with DDR 3,4 and 5 technology. My motherboard uses DDR2 technology for the memory but I'm not sure how the video card technology works with my motherboard. Also, some of the graphics cards I'm looking at support PCI 2.0 and 2.1 but I'm not sure if my motherboard supports this or has PCI 2.0 or 2.1 slots, can someone help me with that? My motherboard model# DG33M04

I want to make sure I don't install the wrong card because I heard this could ruin the motherboard. Thank you very much.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 15th, 2015 09:00

Worked via previous private message.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 15th, 2015 10:00

I want to make sure I don't install the wrong card because I heard this could ruin the motherboard. Thank you very much.

The card will just not work; it almost certainly will not harm the motherboard.

The memory type of the graphics card is completely independent of that of the motherboard. As for the slot standard, it usually is backward-compatible.

If you would tell us what your purpose is in upgrading, we could suggest some cards.

4 Posts

August 25th, 2015 01:00

The card will just not work; it almost certainly will not harm the motherboard.

The memory type of the graphics card is completely independent of that of the motherboard. As for the slot standard, it usually is backward-compatible.

If you would tell us what your purpose is in upgrading, we could suggest some cards.

Yes, I'm using my OEM graphics card, ATI Radeon 3450 256mg but given that this card is at least 7 yrs old, I need to upgrade it to run Win 7 that I just installed and basic windows applications, play movies, You Tube and just to load up web pages faster like the graphics on the sites take a little bit to load and some online videos lag as well. I don't need a fancy card for gaming, cause my hardware is 7yrs old as well but It would be nice to play some games. I upgraded my power supply to 520 watts and I'm looking for something with 1 gigabyte of memory at least but their too expensive so I might have to settle for 512mg, I would also like to stick with the same brand or similar like, AMD, Gigabyte, Radeon, etc but not Nvidia, I don't think my power supply can run Nvidia cards. Thank you very much for the help.

Here's a few pics of my board and graphics card for reference:

No Events found!