Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Optiplex 380 max RAM

Hello,

I purchased an Optiplex 380 a couple of years ago which came with 2x2GB RAM @ 1066Mhz and now I think time has come to upgrade to at least 8GB. So, I tried a kingston value ram of 4gb @ 1333Mhz and unfortunately it beeped with 1 and 3 diagnostic LEDs lit. I know that the Dell manual says a maximum of 4GB ram but I have seen people here on dell forums running 2x4GB without any problems, so according to my thinking, maybe the bus frequency is the problem? shall I try 1066Mhz? Crucial's site also suggests up to 1600Mhz so whats the confusion here?

P.S. I have latest BIOS A07 flashed.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

RE: Dell Optiplex 380 max RAM

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out.

Did you try 8GB(4+4) or Does it beeps even with a 4GB stick in one slot? 

Try each stick on both the slots, If that fails, you may try 1066 mhz.

P.S:  We haven't tested 8GB configuration on this motherboard from the factory, If none of the steps works, You may have to revert back to 4GB. 

Thanks. 

Dell-Gokul G
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes I tried that Kingston 1333mhz in single slot, it didnt worked, I have seen on various forums with people able to run 8GB on this system so I think 1066Mhz is my last hope.

Actually I have just checked my existing ram in CPU-Z and its PC3-10700 which is 1333Mhz I guess right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

According to this manual, dell says it supports upto 8GB ram, so whats the confusion? http://www.techdata.com/business/dell/082010_123/Files/august2010/Dell%20OptiPlex%20380.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

You cant use High density Quad Rank Ram.  The speed of the ram also counts.  

DDR3 PC3-12800 • 9-9-9-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 512Meg x 64 • Low Profile •

DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333  is too slow.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/optiplex-380-desktop

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am sorry but can you explain "High Density Quad Rank" Ram in layman's terms please, that would be appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Ranks are sub-units of a memory module which share the same address and data buses and are selected via CS (Chip Select)  in low level addressing. For example, take a memory module with 8 chips on each side, with each chip having 8 bit wide data bus,  then that module would have one rank for each side for a total of 2 ranks, if we define a rank to be 64 bits wide.  That's why High density is not sufficent for some chipsets because the BUS is 128 bits wide. This is also why only 1/2 of each dimm is working when 4 are used. You need RANK 4 ram due to the width of the bus.  Some systems only allow single rank memory.

high density RAM is not compatible with intel cpu's and Intel ® G41 Express Chipset you will see this noted on ebay and other sites.If you install high-density memory on a motherboard that is not compatible with the module, it will not work or only recognize a portion of the memory.

With 4 slots max ram is 8 gigs aka 2 gig max memory module size.

16 gigs is not possible aka 4 x 4 gig module.

here

Highlighted
2 Bronze

So can you specify what to look for when I purchase a 4GB stick for my 380? and max ram speed supported is 1066 right? or 1333 or 1600 might work as long as 4 rank?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Secondly, can you tell me why this one didn't worked with my system I tested a day ago?

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

• DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)  <--- Too Slow  PC3 12800  DDR3 1600
  • Cas Latency 9
  • Voltage 1.5V  <---- Too High must be 1.35V

Basically EVERYTHING about those modules is wrong.

here